DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

More work than @Beekissed 's suggestion. Never tried that, don't know how you keep their wattles out of the water in a dish.

I've always used open waterers in the winter, heated and unheated, and never had an issue with wattles in the water getting frosted. Not sure why so many folks have this problem....could be due to the fact I elevate my watering dish so that they aren't bending down to drink but reaching up and over it, so the wattles get held back by the edge of the pan.

Thanks, all.

To answer a few questions:
-I have a system that works but had in my mind that I wanted to try this for reasons I don't have time to write right now.
-I do have horizontal nipples available but don't use them. My Birds prefer to drink from a "pool" and I just let that be what it is.
-I do use heated dog bowls with waterers on top. Works well all winter.

I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and forget the circulation idea. It's not essential at this point.

I am building a circulation system very soon. Basic idea is this resivor with water in it. U add a aquarium heater and turn on. They have bigger or smaller watt units so u can upgrade if needed. Inside the res u have a submersible pump attached to a black vinyl line then an adapter to cpvc pipe then cpvc to coop down to unit. Run line to an end cap. Attach either nipple or the cup one with the little thing they peck at it to get the water out. Run line to res so water just goes right into open water and then the cycle begins. I will have a step by step on my forum building pAradise for the birds. I will include pics as well. The one I'm going to try and build is over ten coups. A lot easier n cleaner to do this I am currently using all heated water bowls. And that's to much work.so the upgrade is needed.

Add also that if u get to big of a run u don't use submersible pump u would then use a small sub pump that is submersible. If that makes sense. I would say to just do the sub pump right off the bat. Cause I use 1110 gph submersible pump for 1/2 inch lines right now and I could use the upgrade I believe it will work better.

Not my invention but this is my take on a treadle feeder:

The idea is to prevent small rodents from getting to the feed. Chickens hop on the platform and their weight opens the hatch, exposing the food. in reality, it's not all that effective because as you can see, the chickens shovel feed out onto the ground below the feeder so there is always plenty for rodents to eat. I still like it though for the clever factor and the whole Rube Goldberg effect.

I don't know if raccoons, skunks or possums are interested in chicken feed. If so, this is nearly pointless.

Something odd about our chicken setup is the only hardware-cloth-secure area is the roost. So, feeders, waterers and such live out in the open wire day spa zone which I leave open at night so the cats can patrol. The cats have pretty much eliminated the big ugly rat problem and the little mice aren't a big problem, more like an opportunity for the birds to feast a couple times a year.

If you are building one of these, I would advise making the feed available down in a very deep hole where they can't pull it out and spread it around on the ground.

Not my invention but this is my take on a treadle feeder:

The idea is to prevent small rodents from getting to the feed. Chickens hop on the platform and their weight opens the hatch, exposing the food. in reality, it's not all that effective because as you can see, the chickens shovel feed out onto the ground below the feeder so there is always plenty for rodents to eat. I still like it though for the clever factor and the whole Rube Goldberg effect.

I don't know if raccoons, skunks or possums are interested in chicken feed. If so, this is nearly pointless.

Something odd about our chicken setup is the only hardware-cloth-secure area is the roost. So, feeders, waterers and such live out in the open wire day spa zone which I leave open at night so the cats can patrol. The cats have pretty much eliminated the big ugly rat problem and the little mice aren't a big problem, more like an opportunity for the birds to feast a couple times a year.

If you are building one of these, I would advise making the feed available down in a very deep hole where they can't pull it out and spread it around on the ground.
Hi Bay,
frow.gif

You might check the feed inlet to the feeding tray that your birds are billing so much feed out of. I have found that if you lower the feed level to at least 1 inch below the lowest edge, most of the spilled feed stops.
Nice looking feeder!
Scott

From time-to-time I have recommended treadle feeders on this forum. I'd like to point out that there is no "lip" around the feed trough in the feeder shown in the posts above. Said "lip" will at a minimum, reduce the amount of feed being billed and spilled. I would also suggest that the treadle be made a little longer for the comfort of the birds as they feed. If I can master the system here, I'll post a photo of one that I made.

There is about a one inch lip around the feed trough which drastically cuts down the feed spillage. I've also just drilled large holes in the trough cover the the birds have to reach through to get the feed. BTW B & J are my son and daughter-in-law. I built this one for them a few years ago. My birds don't get this nice a diner!!

Back
Top Bottom