DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

Pics
I put together this waterer with an old kitty litter bucket we had laying around....

I will put it on something a little more attractive when we can find something.
big_smile.png

Just screws on and off, no sealant necessary.

You can find one at Flemming Outdoors.

O.K., I don't want to steer anyone wrong. This cup quit working after a couple of weeks and ran all the water out of the bucket. Stay away!

Quote: I have read this other places about these cups. I suspect it may be they were designed for a thicker wall?

There is alot to be learned from failure analysis... if you look at the O ring area that actually seals the water off from the container..... that surface is relatively small compared to the size of the cup. Probably good for use in a cage where it wouldnt get alot of Jostling. It would just take a bit of a jostle and a teeny bit of dirt behind that O ring and there goes the seal.

I had this exact thing happen on a larger scale with a faucet and a forty gallon water tank. worked for a while then leaked out.

deb

Last edited:
Quote:
No, it doesn't leak there....the internal mechanism sticks and all the water come out thru the cup. It just overfills continuously until all the water is gone and on your coop floor.

No, it doesn't leak there....the internal mechanism sticks and all the water come out thru the cup. It just overfills continuously until all the water is gone and on your coop floor.
Is your water debris free? Might be something stuck in there.

Last edited:

4" PVC feeder 4'-PVC 4"-Y 4" -test cap
Thank you for posting this! We used the idea with our coop and it works fantastically. It just survived a night of severe T-storms and tornadoes in the coop run, with very little moisture getting into it (so little, I was able to scoop off the damp feed, less than 1/4" near the lip). I'm sure that after I build a "feeding station" with an overhang, it will be completely rain-proof.

Back
Top Bottom