DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

Quote: Those Thermocubes intrigue me..... I live in very temperate climate therefore the most frozen water I get ia a half inch sheet over the top of the water tanks. Horse is really good at breaking those.... LOL.

there have been occasions Where the temperatures have dropped into the middle twenties here.... The whole jet stream deal and I have lost pipes. But the biggest concern for me is the Pumphouse. At one time it had a door I am told the light in the pump house was to keep it warmer in there during winter. When I moved in it was on and I was ignorant so I turned it off. And the winds took the door off about a year later. Wind here is death to doors on sheds and Solid gates.

But pump equipment is expensive so I was pondering that when i figure out how to keep a door on the pump house To light that light back up using a thermocube. Wont work though unless I can keep the heat in.

Oh and Fill that bucket up with cold water drop a floating thermometer in there and time it from the time the heater comes on the first time till the time the water comes to temperature.... Just something good to know... It has been my experience that they can take up wards to an hour to bring the water to temperature depending on wattage of course.

The agitation in the water should take care of any lag between the thermocube activating the water heater and the heater coming to temperature.

deb

I forgot to mention.... everything in the coop is going though a GFCI outlet. If water hits electric the breaker cuts in a nano second.
wink.png
Eggcellent..... VBG.

deb

Those Thermocubes intrigue me.....

Oh and Fill that bucket up with cold water drop a floating thermometer in there and time it from the time the heater comes on the first time till the time the water comes to temperature.... Just something good to know... It has been my experience that they can take up wards to an hour to bring the water to temperature depending on wattage of course.

The agitation in the water should take care of any lag between the thermocube activating the water heater and the heater coming to temperature.

deb

Deb - I figure, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I think the cube cost about $15 bucks.

When I refill the waterer I plan to take a gallon milk jug and put warm to hot water in it and then carry it to the coop to refill my bucket. No reason to take cold and force the heater to do the work.

Also I think someone mentioned not to let the bucket go dry or the heater will crack............. Well my "water spigot" (pvc with the nipple) is about 1-1/2" off the bottom of the bucket. With the heater laying on the bottom it will always be covered by water.

Thermodynamics should take care of the water in the little stub of pipe.

deb
We can hope so, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Quote:
Excellent, hopefully that keeps your pump covered with water too because if it runs dry there's a good chance it will fry too.

Wonders how warm the thermocube and the aquarium heater will keep the water?
Good suggestion someone made to put a thermometer in the water to keep an eye on how it functions.

Jimmy Walt, it would be cool if you started a new thread with this set up so you can update how it works out ;-)

Jimmy Walt, it would be cool if you started a new thread with this set up so you can update how it works out ;-)

Okay, I might do that!

I'll probably wait until I actually get it installed in the coop. I'm waiting for the caulk around the fittings to dry, and I need to exchange the heater because it doesn't seem to stay on until the water gets to 75 degrees as the box states - might be defective. Also, I'm hoping we don't hit the 35 degree mark until December - we live in Michigan so who knows......... LOL!

Thanks.

Okay, I might do that!

I'll probably wait until I actually get it installed in the coop. I'm waiting for the caulk around the fittings to dry, and I need to exchange the heater because it doesn't seem to stay on until the water gets to 75 degrees as the box states - might be defective. Also, I'm hoping we don't hit the 35 degree mark until December - we live in Michigan so who knows......... LOL!

Thanks.
I'd go ahead and start it now, instead of posting it in other threads.

Where in Michigan are you? Forecast for here shows low of 31 Thursday morning and snow showers Thursday 8-0 ...Here it Comes!!

Quote: I brought that up.... LOL... Slapping my forehead for not thinking of the water level.....

I personally have been investigating heating water on a much larger scale in order to raise Tilapia up here in the high desert. Optimum temps for them is between 75 and 85 degrees. They can live in lower but they go dormant to a degree in that they stop breeding. Of course the larger the container the longer it will hold temps because of the volumn of water.... So once I get it up to temp and get an insulative blanket around the tank I should be good to go with a Albiet LARGE aquarium heater.....

deb

Quote: Those water heaters unless you buy a really good one are notorious for being hard to tweak. Too many variables.... The last one I bought was for a 110 gallon freshwater Tank for my living room.... It cost me around thirty bucks It had a temperature pointer on its side so tht when you turned the dial to set the temperature the tip of the pointer would rest there. Of course I verified it with a thermometer and after about three or four days it stabilized at the 80 degrees I was shooting for.

They do make water heaters specifically for this job you know. For about twenty five bucks they set under the water to be heated like a hot plate.....

Heated base for water bowl

Or to save money you could go with a heated water dish for dogs.... they are all plastic. Just flip it over and use it upside down to put your water bucket on top.

Heated Dog water bowl

deb

Back
Top Bottom