DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Eznet2u, Feb 23, 2012.

1. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

2. perchie.girl

Eggcellent..... VBG.

deb

3. jimmywalt

jimmywalt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2013
    Deb - I figure, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I think the cube cost about $15 bucks.

When I refill the waterer I plan to take a gallon milk jug and put warm to hot water in it and then carry it to the coop to refill my bucket. No reason to take cold and force the heater to do the work.

Also I think someone mentioned not to let the bucket go dry or the heater will crack............. Well my "water spigot" (pvc with the nipple) is about 1-1/2" off the bottom of the bucket. With the heater laying on the bottom it will always be covered by water.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    We can hope so, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Quote:
    Excellent, hopefully that keeps your pump covered with water too because if it runs dry there's a good chance it will fry too.

Wonders how warm the thermocube and the aquarium heater will keep the water?
    Good suggestion someone made to put a thermometer in the water to keep an eye on how it functions.

Jimmy Walt, it would be cool if you started a new thread with this set up so you can update how it works out ;-)

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Nevermind!!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. jimmywalt

jimmywalt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2013
    Okay, I might do that!

I'll probably wait until I actually get it installed in the coop. I'm waiting for the caulk around the fittings to dry, and I need to exchange the heater because it doesn't seem to stay on until the water gets to 75 degrees as the box states - might be defective. Also, I'm hoping we don't hit the 35 degree mark until December - we live in Michigan so who knows......... LOL!

Thanks.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd go ahead and start it now, instead of posting it in other threads.

Where in Michigan are you? Forecast for here shows low of 31 Thursday morning and snow showers Thursday 8-0 ...Here it Comes!!

8. perchie.girl

9. perchie.girl

10. perchie.girl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by