DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

I believe it is something with a pin through it and a clear washer of some sort. I'm assuming he used it sort of as a hinge pin to let the door swing open and closed on the feeder. But I don't know what it is called to look it up online. I've been trying to find a similar picture somewhere without success.

I've been attempting to use the pictures he provided to figure out the measurements and such of the feeder so that I can make one.

LL

Ok, are these some type of plastic or nylon bushings?

Quote:

Quote:

I believe it is something with a pin through it and a clear washer of some sort. I'm assuming he used it sort of as a hinge pin to let the door swing open and closed on the feeder. But I don't know what it is called to look it up online. I've been trying to find a similar picture somewhere without success.

I've been attempting to use the pictures he provided to figure out the measurements and such of the feeder so that I can make one.

LL

Ok, are these some type of plastic or nylon bushings?
If you thumb back and take a look at the picture from the images in the thread you will see that they are simply Pennies with holes drilled in them. He probably wanted something that fit his screws more closely and didnt want to drive to the store to pay for washers.... Saving gas money and time. LOL

In this application a perfect solution. If you do this yourself be aware the coin has to be clamped pretty well in order to do this, and wear eye protection. Just use the same drill bit you used to drill the hole for the screws.

There have been many times when I needed a spacer to keep things from either wearing or abrading two surfaces... A piece of leather works quite well too. And if you dont have a leather punch you can use the same drill bit. a piece of plastic can work as well... if the space is tight drill the hole first then cut the "washer" down to the size you need.

If you are using leather you should oil it prior to final assembly Veggie oil or lard (no bacon grease it has salt) will work. Leather washers have been used for centuries in moving mechanisms.

deb

Pennies? Really? Thanks. I thought I was just seeing the color of his skin through some clear plastic bushings.
tongue.png
I have plenty of washers to use.

I think I have figured out the dimensions well enough from the photos that I can replicate this feeder.
fl.gif

It looks in the video like LoveOfChicken may have added a spring or something to the side later. Before the video, he wrote a message saying it needed some details. I hope he sees this thread again soon and gives me some tips! Where are you, Oh Great Builder of Feeders? lol

I love this thread...............

I sure wish we could get back to the topic of it......... "Let's see your Inventions" (for chicken farming)

Thank you! :)
I think alot of us are going through a long very cold winter. I have a Chicken tunnel nest I am working on .... I have to build a prototype first, to get the mechanics of the roll out portion done. When I build the prototype I will share it. I am not a carpenter so I have to build things inside out some times.... but here is the sketch of what I want to do.

My chickens were killed by coyotes last summer very long story but I want to start over eventually.... This time with a new improved way to gather eggs, feed, and water.... I have made many many drawings for different ways to do this.... I had that sketch book in the car a couple of weeks ago The car was stolen so I am having to start over from memory. If you take a look at my signature there is a link to my coop rebuild.

deb

So sorry to hear about you losing your chickens, sketch book, and car!

I had not heard of tunnel nests, so I just looked it up. Wish I had heard of that interesting idea a month ago before I made several new nest boxes. It sounds like an interesting idea, and your drawing looks great. Best wishes for you--may your first prototype turn out to be perfect!
smile.png

I think alot of us are going through a long very cold winter. I have a Chicken tunnel nest I am working on .... I have to build a prototype first, to get the mechanics of the roll out portion done. When I build the prototype I will share it. I am not a carpenter so I have to build things inside out some times.... but here is the sketch of what I want to do.

My chickens were killed by coyotes last summer very long story but I want to start over eventually.... This time with a new improved way to gather eggs, feed, and water.... I have made many many drawings for different ways to do this.... I had that sketch book in the car a couple of weeks ago The car was stolen so I am having to start over from memory. If you take a look at my signature there is a link to my coop rebuild.

deb

That looks really cool Deb!!!!!!!!!

One question, as chickens poop will it get on the part where you show the egg and therefore stop the egg from rolling into the bottom section? I can't quite vision how this works.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom