DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

Most definitely practice... In my case chain saws scare the crap out of me.... i have had one for at least four years. I have never run it or started it. My neighbor has used it for me.... so I need to have him start it so I can get some practice. Once I am familiar and confident then I can practice cutting wood for the fireplace...

A tool is useless if it doesnt get used.... sigh.

deb

I've sometimes wondered how on earth I still have all of my fingers after starting a chainsaw. The one I usually use has a slightly faulty gear system, causing the chain to start spinning when you start it, usually ending up with a chainsaw with a moving blade swinging in my non dominant hand after pulling the start line of the cheap Chinese saw.

Last edited:
I've sometimes wondered how on earth I still have all of my fingers after starting a chainsaw. The one I usually use has a slightly faulty gear system, causing the chain to start spinning when you start it, usually ending up with a chainsaw with a moving blade swinging in my non dominant hand after pulling the start line of the cheap Chinese saw.

For me, tools like a chainsaw are something that you need to get the best you can afford. Mine is a Husqvarna... its a little one good for trimming branches and helping clear brush.... what I bought it for. The Ribbon wood or Redshank on my property at most has four inch branches but mostly two and three. pretty pretty wood and very very hard when its growing. I dont have alot of upper body strength so its a good size for me.

deb

Yeah, the Swedes know how to make a good chainsaw. But there's a big hardware stores that sells the Chinese saws cheaply and they offer a 5 year warranty on any power tools sold by them. (Also I realize this is how we lose domestic jobs to China).

Yeah, the Swedes know how to make a good chainsaw. But there's a big hardware stores that sells the Chinese saws cheaply and they offer a 5 year warranty on any power tools sold by them. (Also I realize this is how we lose domestic jobs to China).

We have Harbor Freight here in the US. They carry chinese made tools that are decent for home use.... as well as a few good brands. I buy hand tools there because they are cheap and I tend to loose them before they break.... I have a Drill press I bought from them that hasnt made it to the house yet. Warranty has expired yet its also Never been out of the box... Not afraid of this one but the project is at the house

everyone who is DIY ing it for the first time Power tool safety: Tie back hair, Wear safety glasses, Loose clothing is a no no. I am on the fence for gloves but using around sheet metal is always helpful. Clamp your work. and Dont be afraid to ask for help.

My dad lost 50 percent of his vision in one eye from a metal chip. The doc had to get it out using a magnet. (that was back in the late 40s) and he was a Machinist and Tool maker. Before I was born. I never saw him work around machinery without safety glasses on.

deb

We had a principal in school who also taught shop. At one point, we were making cutting boards by gluing together 1x1's. My friend was supposed to use a electric planer on his, when the teacher said "I'll do it, so no-one get's hurt." On the third pass, the sidemost 1x1's glue broke, and it flipped 90 degrees right as he was passing the blade. With his hand on that side. Took half an inch of his index finger, and the transparent vacuum line connected to the planer turned completely red. That was a bit gory.

We had a principal in school who also taught shop. At one point, we were making cutting boards by gluing together 1x1's. My friend was supposed to use a electric planer on his, when the teacher said "I'll do it, so no-one get's hurt." On the third pass, the sidemost 1x1's glue broke, and it flipped 90 degrees right as he was passing the blade. With his hand on that side. Took half an inch of his index finger, and the transparent vacuum line connected to the planer turned completely red. That was a bit gory.

yep.... The safety rules are there to minimize damage.... Freak accidents happen. I worked as a machine operator in a machine shop years ago....

Follow the basics try to see the potential and minimize that risk. Best you can do.

deb

Most definitely practice...  In my case chain saws scare the crap out of me....  i have had one for at least four years.  I have never run it or started it.  My neighbor has used it for me....  so I need to have him start it so I can get some practice.    Once I am familiar and confident then I can practice cutting wood for the fireplace...  

A tool is useless if it doesnt get used.... sigh.

deb

Haha, Deb, I bought a nice chain saw when I lived in TN and couldn't bring myself to even start it. I finally sold it at a garage sale. Years later after moving to LA I needed to cut a tree down. I bought a new one and studied many videos on YouTube about using chain saws and cutting down trees. Yea. I finally did it. I was so proud.

Get a new one RIGHT NOW. And throw that thing in the garbage. JS

Back
Top Bottom