DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

I remember a time when we used to mow 6 acres of lawn with push mowers.  They were cheaper and there were lots of youngin's to push them around.  Then it was just Mom and Dad and they still mowed with push mowers.  Those folks with riding mowers "had more money than sense and they were missing out on all the good exercise".  Now, with Dad gone, we have a riding mower and couldn't imagine being without one, though could still go back to it without too much difficulty, and only have 3 acres to mow now.  We pull carts with it, skin deer with it, give grandbabies rides on it :D , and even run over to the back of the property on it.   Can't imagine being without it now.   

I could see a riding vacuum.....I could sweep up grass clippings, leaves, twigs, bugs, you name it....then shoot it all into the coop.  Sign me up!  :lol:  

If I may be so bold as to inquire, what kind of riding mower do you have?  We have one but I don't like it much.  Hydrostatic drive doesn't do much for me, it's too low to be much use in a pasture type situation.  Although it's supposed to cut up to 6" it actually tops out at about 2 + it doesn't seem to have much power.  Regards,  Woody

Hydrostatic is inherently better in the long run then many of the common gear trannys used lawn tractors nowadays, they have cheapened up the gears so much in modern riding lawn mowers that they simply wear out or strip if put under too much load... One thing people miss or overlook with lawn tractors is the size of the mower deck to the horsepower of the engine, or even the size of the mower deck overall this is a huge factor in it's ability to cut taller and weedy grass... Also worth noting is that most lawn tractors use the same components from brand to brand and many are even made by the same manufactures just rebranned...

With that said on the HP to mower deck size, I have a 12HP rider with a 34" deck that I use for the grunt work, and it will eat up pretty much anything I toss at it, all the while I have see my neighbor constantly struggle to no end and resort to driving like a turtle in molasses to cut with his 24HP 54" deck rider... This is in regards to weedy farm grass that doesn't get mowed all that regular, if you have nice grass and it gets mowed regularly I doubt you would see the issues...

Placed a diversion tunnel on the back pop door today to keep out the new pup...been stealing all my eggs. Used the top half of an large, old cat carrier and reduced the pop door hole as well.

I'll extend the tunnel or place another corner in it if this doesn't work....he'll have to do some real squirming to get into the coop in this but I wouldn't put anything past him. He's pretty snaky still at 4 mo. of age.
Sweet!! did it work?...but we need to see the puppy too :)

I love my circa '87 16hp JD L&G tractor....she mows and she throws and she hauls in a cart or drags with a rope....ya gotta be able to fix her tho, she's creaky.

Last edited:
I had a JD from the 80s too and loved it tremendously! We bought it used, 11 yrs old, and we used it for another 8 yrs past that and it was still running strong when I sold it...and moved. Wish now I hadn't sold it...the JD mowers nowadays couldn't put a scratch on that old one. We bought a new one and took it right back the same week...wasn't worth having.

I had a JD from the 80s too and loved it tremendously! We bought it used, 11 yrs old, and we used it for another 8 yrs past that and it was still running strong when I sold it...and moved. Wish now I hadn't sold it...the JD mowers nowadays couldn't put a scratch on that old one. We bought a new one and took it right back the same week...wasn't worth having.
I'm on my second. First was a '79 214 bought 16 years ago with mower and thrower, I had to rebuild the motor once out to .030, amongst many other repairs.......then motor blew again a few years ago and I bought the '87 216 with a thrower.......kept the 214 for parts as they are about identical. They are little tanks, but IMO you've got to be a mechanic to keep them going - unless you've got the bucks to pay someone else, gator blades turned it into 'almost a brush hog' and it pretty easily throws the tons of snow I get here.

I love my circa '87 16hp JD L&G tractor....she mows and she throws and she hauls in a cart or drags with a rope....ya gotta be able to fix her tho, she's creaky.

The main work horse I mentioned is a 1986 Wheel Horse (Toro), the Kawasaki engine on the thing is rock solid but like you said you need to be able to fix them as they are old machines... And at least for me forget about new parts most of the parts are no longer inventoried by Toro, and if you do find someone with new old stock they generally want a huge premium as they know the 'restorers' and 'collectors' will pay the price... So when something breaks it's make it yourself, weld it back together or find something generic that can be made to fit, not for everyone...

Quote: A lot of the JD parts are still available new, some are reasonable, some are not, some can be generic, some cannot.....some are not available at all.
I found an awesome forum that was a huge help learning to fix these things, and lot of parts there too.
One thing is, never use aftermarket belts-the angle doesn't match the sheaves and the JD belts are pretty pricey but last well if everything attached is in good shape and adjusted properly. Getting about time to change 'er over from mow to throw, one more trip down the trails to blow leaves off.

Me Want....
bow.gif

Here's a bag collar feeder I built which I use for 25-50lb bags of feed. My idea was that the bag can do what it already does - hold feed, and the collar just directs it down the feed ramp. Currently feeding a bunch of cornish x off it.

and of the ramp:
Brilliant!!!

Back
Top Bottom