DIY Waterer & Feeder

JayD10

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 22, 2013
Im Fairly New To Raising Chicken, But Im Already Learning Alot Thanks To This Site. I Found This Waterer Idea On Here And Ordered The Setup From Coop Queen On Amazon.Com. The Feeder Idea Was Something I Threw Together With What I Could Find At Lowes.

The Waterer Was Really Simple And Quick To Do. I Ordered The Kit And All I Had To Add Was The Bucket And Hose.

The Feeder Was Simple Also But Took A Little More Time I Think About 30 Mins. I Used A 5Gal Bucket And PVC. The Outer Part Is Some Kinda Gutter Fitting With A 90° Elbow Inside Cut So The Food Can Fall Under The Edges.

Maybe This Will Help Someone! It Has Made The Process Alot Cleaner For Me. I Still Check On Them Everyday And Make Sure The Food Is Falling Like Its Suppose To And The Nipples On The Waterer Arent Stopped Up.

Im Going To Add A Trough Under The Waterer To Catch Excess Spilling Out From The Messy Chickens And Im Still Thinking Of A Way To Keep Them From Getting On Top Of The Food Bucket And Leaving Me Surprises!!

To keep chickens off the top of your buckets take some wire coat hangers and make a few upside-down U shapes and attach them to the lids. Now they won't have a place to land and sit.

For your water bucket I'm sorry you purchased one. They are SOOO easy to make with a 5 gallon bucket, some pvc pipe, and nipples (purchased from China off Ebay). Attached is a picture of my 5 gallon waterer and also a 3" pvc automatic feeder that has been working good so far.

:)

For the tops of buckets etc you can also take pieces of chicken wire or 2 x 4 wire or whatever and make them into a cone shape to fit over the top. If you want to keep it dry or covered, plastic works also, I've used old garbage can lids cut up and bent into a cone shape for that sort of thing.

For the tops of buckets etc you can also take pieces of chicken wire or 2 x 4 wire or whatever and make them into a cone shape to fit over the top. If you want to keep it dry or covered, plastic works also, I've used old garbage can lids cut up and bent into a cone shape for that sort of thing.

Or even use a wire plant basket like this guy did (see attached picture).

I'm sure if you walked around the Dollar store you could find something to attach to the lid to keep the chickens from getting up there.

Thanks For The Input. I Was Thinking Of Using Some Left Over Chicken Wire And Making A Cone For The Top.
As For The Water Bucket, I Purchased The Kit Cause I Needed Something Quick For The Weekend Cause I Was Leaving Town. Im Going To Move That System Over For My Younger Chickens And Build A Bigger One For The Older Ones. It Will Be More Custom Made.
So Far Everything Is Working Great. All The Chickens Caught On Quick To The New Systems!!

Back
Top Bottom