Do 6 week old duckling need water during the night?

I don't give my ducks water at night, and I've consulted my avian vets in this matter. They have told me that as long as my ducks have access to water all day they do not need it all night. My ducks are adults.

My vet did specify that if I ever want to provide water at night it would need to be in a separate area from their sleeping area so their bedding doesn't get wet.

I understand your frustrations with the duck water party all night. I wanted to allow my ducks to have water and food 24/7 when they were little. I even put their water container on a grate and had all kinds of solutions to keep things dry. Things were always wet and I had to clean out a wheel barrow of bedding daily. I think I tolerated it until they were about 3 or 4 months old and then only provided water during the day.

If you do decide to take away their night time water make sure to take away their food, too.

If you provide food, you must provide water. When I brooded my first ducklings, I gave them food and water 24/7 untilat least the first 2 months or when they were fully feathered.
But, the ones brooded by their mom only got food and water during the day as they got locked into the duck house at night with the rest of the ducks. They did well too.

My ducks have access to food and water 24/7 but that's my personal choice. For young ducklings I use a cooling tray in a baking sheet and set their water on top. When they reach 1.5-2 months I switch to the 2 gallon buckets from tractor supply and put plastic shoe trays underneath that I get at Walmart for like $5 (mainstays is the brand) I have no problems with wet bedding now, but my ducks are kept in very large pens at night so there is no chance of them knocking into the buckets trying to move around.
100681547255005p.jpeg

Screenshot_20210927-143546~2.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom