Do All Breeds Of Turkeys Taste The Same??

chickenlovefever

Songster
8 Years
Jul 19, 2011
So I have had a plan to start raising turkeys. But I don't know what breed to get! My family always hunts, and we eat mainly wild turkey and deer all the time. I want some turkeys that will taste just like those wild turkeys. I was told that Home Raised Turkeys will taste the same as wild, with a little wild variety in their diet. At some Hatcheries, I see that you can get wild turkeys, but for like 12 $ a chick. I do't want to get them. I have been thinking about Either Bourbon Reds or BroadBrestedBronze Turkeys. Will ALl of these turky breeds taste the same? For instance, if I get Blue Slate turkeys and feed them variety, Will they taste the same as a different breed like the wild turkey? Or like a Bourbon Red Turkey? I would really like to know.
TY.

The different breeds DO taste different, but it can be subtle. I thinky mine were more different in thier textures, than anyting else.

I have heard the midget whites are the best for flavor. I am going to get some next year.

There are some folks who think they can taste differently. I seem to recall a Mother Earth News article that said the Midget White was the best tasting of all.

But honestly I think their feed/forage and age has more to do with it than their breed.

Lol, Laree I love your Avatar!
lau.gif
Anyways, has anyone here ever eaten wild turkey? Its Delicious! I hate store Bought turkey. It just doesn't taste the same. But I guess I will try the Midget turkeys. Its either the Midget White or Bourbon Red. I have this little handbook, and it says:

Bourbon Red:Developed in the late 1800's, The Bourbon Red has remained popular with small producers thanks to excellent utility traits, such as god foraging capability and richly flvored meat. It has the most breeding Birds on any non-industrial Heritage Breed. Size: Old Tom. 33 lb. / Old Hen. 18 lb.

Midget White: Similar to Beltsville Small White, The Midget White is sometimes shown in poultry show under that classification, It was developed during the late 1950s and early 1960s as a smaller bird for barnyad production. Size: Old Tom. 20 lb. / Old Hen. 12 lb.

I haven't had wild turkey, but have tasted many kinds of game; DH and I used to go to game banquets in college.

THe store bought birds have a huge amount of salt solution added; I'm sure there are exceptions. THe gravy is too salty to eat at times. We raised 6 BBB some years ago on pellets their while life; we got rave reviews from the family. I'm now raising both BBW and have a pair of BR for future poults.

In my opinion, the birds will reflect what they eat and ability to walk around or fly around; the different breeds have a practical purpose, like what size bird is to fit in the oven; preference in feather coloring; flying ability. Do lots of reading and you will see there is a bit of difference between the breeds to best suit your situation.

GL

Back
Top Bottom