do all chickens have spurs, or just roosters?

ctcasper

Songster
11 Years
Apr 4, 2008
Minnesota
I am still trying to figure out wether I have all roosters, i just want to know if all chickens have spurs and roosters are just way larger or what??? Thanks

How old are they? They all have little bumps on the back of their legs but they stay that....just little bumps. I worried when my girls were little, too, thinking they were all roos.

THey are 9 weeks and they all have just a small bump on the inside of their legs, is that where the spur will be on the roos???? How old are they before you can really tell the sex for sure?

At 9 weeks I think you should be able to get some really good guesses if not 100% sure. If you post pics there will be people willing to help you figure them out. Yes, that is where mine got his spurs but at almost 7 months old, his spurs are still very small.

I did post pics, but most everyone said I have only one hen and 14 roos, so I am not quite ready to accept that. Will when I have to though:rolleyes:

i had a laying hen with 1" spurs. they all start out with little ones they kind of round over when they get older but not allways.

I just looked at pics you posted earlier. a few look like they have sickle shaped feathers on their tails. they are roosters.

Last edited:
Quote:
YIKES!!!!! Well, I am certainly no expert but I looked at your pics. I am not seeing what looks like only one girl, but you do have a lot of masculine looking babies. I take it you bought straight run?

I did buy a staight run, I wanted about half and half because we wanted some meat birds too. I bought them from someone last weekend, i wanted older ones because I wasn't prepared to raise babies yet. So I am hoping for at least 4 hens, if I have that many then I will keep them for the winter and hopefully hatch some more myself next year. Just waiting to see for sure now though. If I only have 1 or 2, i will probably go to the auction and get some more of just whatever breed for now.

Back
Top Bottom