Do all chickens roost?

Young chickens and new chickens may not roost. Many of mine don't roost until 4 or 5 months old. I've also sold a few bantams to people and had them tell me they wouldn't roost for a few days after they get them home. Sometimes they have to settle in. If they haven't had a roost they will take time to try it out after they settle in before they start sleeping on it. Also make sure it isn't suddenly getting dark. If you have lights on in or around the coop in the evening make sure they don't suddenly go out. Chickens can't see in the dark so they will get stuck on the ground and at minimum pile into a corner somewhere but sometimes they'll get completely freaked out and injure themselves.

My older laying hens are not roosting. They lay on the floor next to the brooder where I have my 7 week old chicks. I am really wanting to begin integrating the babies and the big hens soon, so I am taking this as a good sign. I have roosts for them.......Do you think that they are just wanting to be by the little chicks or do they just not know how to roost?

All of mine roost except for my frizzle hen (she can't fly up there), my silkies and one of my polish pullets (her crest is soooo big I think its because she can't see well
smile.png
). Mine just figured it out on their own. I had the roosting poles up and they eventually did it themselves
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom