Do All Roosters just know?

Lisa Wood

Songster
7 Years
Mar 6, 2016
AIKEN, South Carolina
So I would like to know if sll roosters know the dance? Some are even big CasaNovas and feed hens with special treats, then one day he calls her over but there is no treat, but she is way freindlier cause he warmed her up with the food morsels.
Then I would like to know if some roosters are gentlemen, and only copulate when she is willing?,
Is alll this courting behavior INSTINCT? Does he watch his dad do it as a chick? Or does he just keep trying till he gets it right?

Not all roosters will dance or be gentlemen... some are very aggressive and forceful... it is individual traits on how they treat the hens...

My rooster is about 14 weeks old now and a couple weeks ago he was a bit rough with my hens. I started getting concerned but I let them alone and now he calls them over for treats (sometimes!) and he does a little dance for them. I take it as he was being a boy dealing with his hormones and now he's working out how to actually treat a lady :) Now my other rooster is about 3 weeks younger and I've seen him acting a bit clumsy with his group of hens but I'm hoping he will learn to be more smooth like my older rooster.

Not all roosters will dance or be gentlemen... some are very aggressive and forceful... it is individual traits on how they treat the hens...
I totally agree, it all depends on the rooster. I have had several roosters that were put down for being too aggressive for months, it didn't look like they were getting any better. It is lovely to see a rooster being a gentleman though, makes me think there's hope!

X3
Most young cockerels just coming of age are clumsy and/or violent...some figure it out quick and some never do.
I've seen my 2 year old cockbird be both incredibly 'gentlemanly' and also so the 'sneak up from behind and grab and jump on'.
Mating behaviors can vary between individuals and also within an individual depending on the situation.

My rooster is about 14 weeks old now and a couple weeks ago he was a bit rough with my hens. I started getting concerned but I let them alone and now he calls them over for treats (sometimes!) and he does a little dance for them.  I take it  as he was being a boy dealing with his hormones and now he's working out how to actually  treat a lady :)   Now my other rooster is about 3 weeks younger and I've seen him acting a bit clumsy with his group of hens but I'm hoping he will learn to be more smooth like my older rooster.

The "Smooth Operator" rooster! I may use "Smooth" as his name. See if that helps!

Back
Top Bottom