do amaracaunas ever have feather feet

Dorothy1324

Songster
12 Years
Jun 21, 2007
just wondering my 8 weekold chicks were ordered from mm as amaracunas but now at 8 weeks old when i was catching one last night it had a little fether sticking out between the scales on her leg i thought it was just stuck on her so i pulled on it and nope it was really growing there. is it possible that she is something different the silkies that were ordered the same time by someone different had feathers on the legs from the start.

Not supposed to, but with that breed....... it is kinda a mystery bird. You never know what what they will look like from the hatchery.

Once again the confusion between Ameraucana, Araucana and Easter Egger rears it's head
lol.png

Easter Eggers are the mystery breed, that's what you have I'm sure. You can't find real Ameraucana's or Araucana's in most hatcheries, MM does not carry them. And they will never have feathered legs.

You can find out about the differences here:
http://www.ameraucana.org/faq.html
smile.png

Last edited:
I have occasionally had the odd chick hatch with a few feathers on its legs in both my EEs and real Ameraucanas. Just an odd mutation I guess. By the time the chicks grow up, you can barely tell.

You know something funny is I have a chick that was born around May 18th that came from MM and was suppose to be an ameracauna (so said the feed store) and that chick developed feathers that are identical to a silkie feathering (all fluffy and so) and has some small feathers on its legs but is big like an ameracauna. So just to show you never know what you are going to really get. She is really beautiful though so I can't really complain, looks just like a big overgrown fluff ball and we named her Frazzle because it looks like she was having a bad day and was really 'frazzled'.

thankyou for all the replys i do think she is very cute and dont really care about the true ameracauna and aracuna thing the cutist thing is they have started to get the tufts or muffs i forget which and they look like chipmunks i laugh whenever they come running over to me.

I have 5 amereucacn's that are almost a month old and they came from Privett Hatchery - and none of them have feathers on the legs or feet, i am just hoping they are all hens - I ended up with a very beautiful white rooster that was soppsed to a very beautiful white hen LOL
The amereucan's do have a greenish color to thier legs and feet, but no feathers.
Julie

Back
Top Bottom