Do any BYC members have a pet Penguin?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by BadScorpio, Mar 15, 2013.

1. BadScorpio

BadScorpio Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2013
    Spring Hill, Florida
    I have always wanted a penguin since I was 8 years old (and read Mr Poppers Penguins). Now I'm 30 and I heard that a family in Japan had a pet penguin that goes to the market and returns with fish. (I guess it has a credit acount)

Anyway I have never found any information for keeping a penguin as a pet and was wondering if anybody has.

2. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    No but a watched a really cute video on you tube! It was a penguin being tickled! Makes me laugh every time!

3. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    You can...but the hoops are numerous. I only know of one heavily licensed individual who has some, but they run a USDA facility that is similar to a zoo. The aviary I worked at opted not to get any as they are expensive to buy, house, and feed, and have many requirements tha need to be met for their health.

4. BadScorpio

Mar 11, 2013
    Spring Hill, Florida
    Thats what I thought. I was thinking of the south african penguins. They can tolerate some heat. Having a Emperor Penguin in Florida would be a logicistical nightmare.

5. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
  6. BadScorpio

Mar 11, 2013
    Spring Hill, Florida
    Thank you. Now I know what to do if I ever take a trip to Oregon.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by