Do any of the pullets I have look like the type that might go broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kelly G, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

I have 30 chicks that are 1mo old. Do any of them look like ones that might go broody when they grow up (list of my chicks in signature below)?

Just wondering as it would be fun to order eggs and have them hatch [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Your wyandottes and rocks will sometimes go broody.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  4. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Any breed is capable of going broody, so you may be surprised. I've had Ameraucanas (EEs) for over a year and they've never gone broody. My 10 Silkie hens are constantly broody - I have 3 sitting on eggs and 3 raising chicks right now. I've also heard Cochins are very broody, but I don't have any. Bantams a little more prone to it than standards.

5. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

I've had one BR go broody but only once. I've had friends who's BO's have gone broody. You just may be surprised though. Some on the BYC have had their EE's go broody though I haven't had any of mine do so. I have had a Marans, Dark Brahma and three Barnevelders go broody so far this year. Good Luck! [​IMG]

6. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    I think your BO is your best bet. But that is iffy, any of them are, except the silkies, from what I've heard!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by