Do any of your Chickens have no comb or a flat comb?

I'm not familiar with rose combs, but most EE's have pea combs. The combs on my EEs were still kind of flat at 7-8 weeks - yours may still be waiting to pop up too.

These are pullets, but at 6 weeks roos don't always have a very mature comb either.
19548_pippins_comb2.jpg

19548_chickens_015.jpg

Quote:
Only if there a cross.. The wyandotte are to have a rose comb.

chickenguysmom:
Your chicken looks to me like a young rooster and a red sex-link.
(they just used a Rose comb RIR instead of a Single Comb RIR)
Chris

I was wondering about cushion combs. I just don't see any sign of anything on him. But even a cushion comb has to plump up eventually. If he has made it to 6 weeks with nothing and it has been red for so long, is there a chance that he will not have one?

What was the latest that you had combs show up?

i have a bantam chick about a month old who doesn't appear to have any comb at all...not even a red spot...anyone know what kind of chick that is? he's grey and black right now....but i know his coloring could change.

His comb will fill out eventually. He looks to have a cushion or strawberry type. Won't know until he matures a bit. It is definitely there, though.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm posting for the sake of anyone that may stumble across it in search of their own answer. 2 years ago I got an EE chick that showed only a flat area where a comb should be. No rows of peas, just smooth flat skin. I waited for a comb to develop, and 2 years later, one never did. She is beautiful, and the comb area will redden when she's laying, but it is absolutely flat. So, it is possible. I thought it would be a cushion comb, which was the most reasonable explanation I could find, but it never "cushioned". I now have a 9 week old pure Ameraucana with the same thing going on..

This is my combless EE.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm posting for the sake of anyone that may stumble across it in search of their own answer. 2 years ago I got an EE chick that showed only a flat area where a comb should be. No rows of peas, just smooth flat skin. I waited for a comb to develop, and 2 years later, one never did. She is beautiful, and the comb area will redden when she's laying, but it is absolutely flat. So, it is possible. I thought it would be a cushion comb, which was the most reasonable explanation I could find, but it never "cushioned". I now have a 9 week old pure Ameraucana with the same thing going on..

This is my combless EE.

Going to need a better picture of the comb.

Don't have any pictures at the moment but I have chanteclers with what I assume are cushion combs. It is only a flat strip lying flat against the head. On the grounds they are laying, I don't think they are going to get any larger. I have only hens in this breed. My EE's have definite pea combs and they are small too, but larger than the chanteclers.

Back
Top Bottom