Do baby chicks need toys?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gitlost80, Feb 9, 2010.

1. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    I love the Idea but I have 1 suggestion. If you give them bugs or such make sure to give grit. They will need it to crush up the shells!

Enjoy and God Bless!

1 person likes this.
  2. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

When mine were that young, I'd take them outside(it was summer) Those babies just had the best time playing in the sun! I'd put a bit of their chick mash on the ground by my feet, and scratch! those little birds had big chicken ideas!!

3. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Mine like to play with insects and worms mostly and they like a little fresh greens too - mostly they just scratch and eat.
    Caroline

4. vanbb18

vanbb18 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2012
    good idea with crickets but what age are they aloud to play with them

5. hughy

hughy New Egg

Feb 27, 2014
    yes they do!!! its an essential part of brooding, about 5-10 hidy holes and 13 toys so all baby chicks can be warm and enjoy their brooding, they can result in DEATH!! trust me it is essential

6. doghairstew

doghairstew New Egg

Apr 7, 2014
    I had the same thought! Mine were jumping up and pecking at the dangling thermometer. I don't think it's wacky to think that all baby animals need to play and explore. I took some ribbon and hung more things from the top of the cage for them to poke at - a toilet paper tube, a plastic fork, a plastic handle from...something, and some shiny gold colored twisty ties. I put sticks through the bars of the cage so they could climb up and poke at the higher toys. It's fun to set up, and fun to watch. And I'm sure it's fun for the chicks to have a little challenge. Birds are smart!

7. Lisa2013

Lisa2013 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2013
    can I put in some pet bird toys in with my 6-7 day old chicks?

8. acates

acates Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2014
    Shell Knob MO
    I put a stick in my brooder for them to roost on and the other night I caught some moths and threw them in. Oh my did they go crazy. I really think the more stuff they have to do the less you have to worry about "bullying". Plus I'm sure happy chickens are healthy chickens
    here is a pic of their roosting bar
    [​IMG]

9. MetallicBlue

MetallicBlue Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2013
    Great ideas here. We just got 4 new 1 week olds. I did have a toilet paper roll laying around so I put that in. They don't seem impressed. I'll have to look into some of the other ideas.

10. Lisa Kalke

Lisa Kalke New Egg

Jan 22, 2015
    I have to laugh, I am out here looking for ideas myself, b/c my baby is waiting for her sisters to arrive tomorrow and has been pecking at her thermometer for the last half hour! did you find anything that worked?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by