Do baby chicks need toys?

yes they do!!! its an essential part of brooding, about 5-10 hidy holes and 13 toys so all baby chicks can be warm and enjoy their brooding, they can result in DEATH!! trust me it is essential

I had the same thought! Mine were jumping up and pecking at the dangling thermometer. I don't think it's wacky to think that all baby animals need to play and explore. I took some ribbon and hung more things from the top of the cage for them to poke at - a toilet paper tube, a plastic fork, a plastic handle from...something, and some shiny gold colored twisty ties. I put sticks through the bars of the cage so they could climb up and poke at the higher toys. It's fun to set up, and fun to watch. And I'm sure it's fun for the chicks to have a little challenge. Birds are smart!

I put a stick in my brooder for them to roost on and the other night I caught some moths and threw them in. Oh my did they go crazy. I really think the more stuff they have to do the less you have to worry about "bullying". Plus I'm sure happy chickens are healthy chickens
here is a pic of their roosting bar

Great ideas here. We just got 4 new 1 week olds. I did have a toilet paper roll laying around so I put that in. They don't seem impressed. I'll have to look into some of the other ideas.

I have to laugh, I am out here looking for ideas myself, b/c my baby is waiting for her sisters to arrive tomorrow and has been pecking at her thermometer for the last half hour! did you find anything that worked?

My little chick is lonely, her 4 siblings did not make it. She's chirping like crazy too. Im definitely going to give her toys. I'm just started a new batch of eggs. Des anyone think she'll be okay with them if she's 1 month older ??

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom