Do Barred Plymouth Rock roosters have blue tail feathers?

alknoll

Songster
Aug 14, 2020
SE Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
I am deciding which breed rooster to add to my flock and saw a beautiful photo online of a BPR roo that had some blue tail feathers. Is that common or did someone cross BPR with another breed to achieve that?

thanks!

The breed standard would not have color variations. I have seen blue rock advertised at hatcheries. I believe they are a mix. I have mixes in my own flock of buff EE and barred Rock that get barred blue coloring.

I am deciding which breed rooster to add to my flock and saw a beautiful photo online of a BPR roo that had some blue tail feathers. Is that common or did someone cross BPR with another breed to achieve that?

thanks!

You got me very curious. Especially after finding a picture of an absolutely gorgeous plymoth rooster with a blue tail. There are actually variants (one of which is blue) and just not seen as often as the black and white barred we're used to. Here's the site:

https://chickenmag.com/plymouth-rock-chicken-barred/

Actually clicked on the article this time a barred rock can have a blue sheen in the black barring on its feathers however that chicken is not a barred rock they don’t have solid feathers like that.

Pretty sure that’s not a Dominique either. No rose comb. There is splotches of brown coloring and there are solid tail feathers. It’s some kind of BR or Dominique cross. Maybe RIR
It kinda looked pea combish mixed with a rose comb too me too. Whatever it was, it wasn't standard. Ironically I have a rooster that has Dominque lineage and he has a true rose comb, but I don't have any hens with a rose comb to know what exactly it looks like on a hen. In any way, an article talking about chicken facts should have its chicken facts straight to look credible lol

Back
Top Bottom