DO BBBs GROW AS FASTER AND BIGGER LIKE THE BBWs?

Kalunga Pharms

Chirping
Jul 15, 2021
Do Broad breasted bronze turkeys grow as fast and as big as the broad breasted whites within the same period feeding on the same materials?

Whites grow faster and bigger, but not a whole lot. Bronzes do get very big, and can dress out well over 35-40 pounds if high protein feed is given to them 24/7 and they are left to grow for 6+ months.
Wow! That's huge. Thanks. Anyway, what's that breed on your profile? Is it like a crossbreed between some heritage turkeys? There's another profile with the name 'austria89' and the bird on it is just awesome. I wonder what breed that is!

Last edited:
Wow! That's huge. Thanks. Anyway, what's that breed on your profile? Is it like a crossbreed between some heritage turkeys? There's another profile with the name 'austria89' and the bird on it is just awesome. I wonder what breed that is!
Both are the breed Turkey. There are different varieties.

The bird in @hdmax profile pic looks to be a heritage Sweetgrass variety. And bird in @austria89 profile pic is a heritage Pencilled Blue Fall Fire that he has created himself he breeds a lot of very interesting and beautiful varieties of heritage turkeys. Between him and Kevin Porter they are in my opinion the heritage turkey gurus of our time. Both have very informative sites about heritage turkeys. https://turkey-color-genetics.com/2021/04/10/genotypes-phenotypes/ This is @austria89 site. https://www.porterturkeys.com/ and this is porters site and he also sells many varieties of heritage turkeys. Both are very informative. They are leading the way for restoring our heritage turkeys.

This is my 1st year with turkey so I can't speak for long term. I have 8 Bourbon Red heritage, 3 BBW, and 3 BBB. 2 BBW ended up being hens but my BBW male is noticeably bigger than my 3 BBB at just over 4 months old.
How old are your BBB turkeys and do they feed on them same materials or ingredients as the BBW?

They're from Cackle and all shipped on 4/28 so they're the same age. Yep all eat the same food. Used 30% game bird started until around 12 weeks and now they're on a 22% meat bird crumble. The size difference didn't really start to show until the last month. To be honest I thought the BBB were going to be bigger.

They're from Cackle and all shipped on 4/28 so they're the same age. Yep all eat the same food. Used 30% game bird started until around 12 weeks and now they're on a 22% meat bird crumble. The size difference didn't really start to show until the last month. To be honest I thought the BBB were going to be bigger.

Wow! That's a nice journey, man. Have you weighed them so far? I need to know their weights and the differences. I have BBWs and their meat especially inner portion of the wings appear fragile to me and can easily get hurt. I want to try BBBs in January. Their weight matters to me a lot. Would be of great help to me if I could know their weights since they are are of same age and feed on the same ingredients. Thanks, buddy!😊💯👏

Back
Top Bottom