Do "birds of a feather" flock together ... really? Behavior question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MaLoTu, Apr 1, 2015.

1. MaLoTu

MaLoTu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2015
    I have 4, 1-week-old Buff Orpingtons and 1, 1-week-old White Leghorn. The BOs seem to always be together and the LH one is off on its own. Every once in a while they are all together and sometimes there is a BO with the LH.
    Is this because they tend to flock with birds of their own breed or is it because the LH was added to the group 2 days after they got home (I went back to the feed store for some bedding and this LH was the only chick left out of the shipment so I got it for free). I did change the brooder composition and bedding before I put them all together.

Any ideas?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    They tend to.

3. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You know, it's really hard to say for sure. Observation will tell you they often flock with same breed or similar color/pattern mates. For example, I have five two-year old Welsummers, and very often my five-year old EE, who happens to look very similar is hanging out with them.

Then there are my six-year old SLWs who are always with my seven-year old black and white Light Brahma. Again, similar colors. The GLWs hang together and they aren't the same age or from the same brood.

More often, what I see are the ones who were brooded together will be hanging out together, and often they are different breeds.

So that's why I say, it's hard to say for sure.

4. LeviS

LeviS Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2012
    North Dakota
    Mine seem to hang out by age groups/brooder mates. All of my older hens seem to stay together and all the younger ones have their own group(s).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by