Do black chickens deter from hawks?

roberthleeii

In the Brooder
Jul 9, 2022
Waller, TX
Does keeping black chickens help protect from hawks?

I am getting ready to do a major flock expansion this summer as I built my ultimate chicken coop. I read on a couple of places that black birds / crows are enemies of hawks typically scare the hawks away and that the hawks confuse black chickens for crows acting as a hawk deterrent. My chickens free range almost every day and I want to be proactive about trying to protect them. I was going to buy Welsummers and Buff Orpingtons but if I can get some protection by buying a couple of black chicks I might do that. Please let me know if this is a good idea or just dumb. (if this is a good idea recommendations of black breeds would be appreciated)

Thanks in advance,

Does keeping black chickens help protect from hawks?

I am getting ready to do a major flock expansion this summer as I built my ultimate chicken coop. I read on a couple of places that black birds / crows are enemies of hawks typically scare the hawks away and that the hawks confuse black chickens for crows acting as a hawk deterrent. My chickens free range almost every day and I want to be proactive about trying to protect them. I was going to buy Welsummers and Buff Orpingtons but if I can get some protection by buying a couple of black chicks I might do that. Please let me know if this is a good idea or just dumb. (if this is a good idea recommendations of black breeds would be appreciated)

Thanks in advance,
I have a few black chickens and free range I have never had a problem , but that being said there is plenty of food other than chickens for the hawks, so I would they might help I have no proven answer, so it probably would help but there is no guarantee

I don't think color really matters at all. An individual hawk might favor one over another, but a raptor who can see mice from above isn't going to be fooled by the color of a chicken! Most of our losses to raptors have been youngsters and/ or bantams, most of whom are 'camo colored'.
This winter we lost two white standard hens to a Cooper's hawk, the first time ever we lost standard hens to a raptor. This hawk seems to select these hens on purpose too. :he
We have more than the usual number of raptors flying/ hunting here right now, and our flock is locked in because of this. Coopers hawks, red tailed hawks, and a harrier. All beautiful, and hungry!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom