Do both genders chest bump/spar?

kaylee gee

Songster
9 Years
Jul 5, 2012
Connecticut
My 7 RIR chicks are about 3-4 weeks old (I think) and they are a very lively bunch! They run at each other, stand up very tall, get chest-to-chest and stare for a second then back off again. They fly around the pen they are in too.

What I want to know is, do only cockerels spar like that? Or do pullets too? There is one chick i am almost positive is a roo (he is bigger than the rest, has darker coloring on his head/neck, and just seems all-around masculine. What about the others? Do I have a pen full of roos??

[EDIT]
Thanks for the answers y'all! I am going to put up a pic of each of their heads so y'all can see the combs. Can you tell this young by looking at their combs what their gender is?? Also, do the feathers over their ears show you anything? I notice they are either light or dark red. The lighting is not very good, as i had to hold them up to a window curtain to get my camera to focus on them and not the background, and i didnt want to use the flash on their little eyes.

Chick 1

Chick 2

Chick 3

Chick 4 (You can see why i think this one is a roo!)

Chick 5

Chick 6

Chick 7

Last edited:
Oh, no... little girls will do it too! I have some really great photos and video of all of my young, gangly chicks challenging each other, and only two of them were boys. One little chick challenged a full grown hen when she was just a peep! The look on the hen's face was priceless as this little chipmunk-striped chick ran up to her, chest-bumped her (best a tiny chick can on a grown hen), then did the dance trying to intimidate her. Big Red just walked away like "Yeah, ok... I'll leave you to that."

Oh ya! girls do it too!!! When I first got chickens it worried me a little that I may have roosters
lol.png

Oh, no... little girls will do it too! I have some really great photos and video of all of my young, gangly chicks challenging each other, and only two of them were boys. One little chick challenged a full grown hen when she was just a peep! The look on the hen's face was priceless as this little chipmunk-striped chick ran up to her, chest-bumped her (best a tiny chick can on a grown hen), then did the dance trying to intimidate her. Big Red just walked away like "Yeah, ok... I'll leave you to that."

lol that is so funny! i can imagine these doing that to my hens! haha!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom