Do both of these chicks need to be put down??

The pipped egg hatched? This is good! They all hatch so differently, I've had some pip,zip and flip out in seconds and others take their sweet time (days). Some come out noisy and stay that way others are mellow. The process is stressful to watch not knowing what to expect and when you have children waiting and watching too. Hopefully sticky settles down soon and keeps on growing, good the swelling went down and she's eating and drinking.

The pipped egg hatched? This is good! They all hatch so differently, I've had some pip,zip and flip out in seconds and others take their sweet time (days). Some come out noisy and stay that way others are mellow. The process is stressful to watch not knowing what to expect and when you have children waiting and watching too. Hopefully sticky settles down soon and keeps on growing, good the swelling went down and she's eating and drinking.
I know it can get stressful---If you get attached and got kids watching too!

Let me tell you what I do----when I light and put the good eggs in the hatcher on day 18---I close the door--It will not be open again till day 22 Unless all the eggs hatch before then. Sure I look in the window a few times during that Lock-Down time---sure sometimes I see a pipped egg that is not getting any larger after 24 hours, sure I might see a chick having a problem some times, legs not right, egg shell stuck to it etc---I am sorry but I will not risk all the rest by opening it to help this one. Most of the time the problem corrects itself. If it goes to day 22 I open and remove all hatched chicks, If I have one or two that have pipped, still alive, sure I help them out the shell---wash off any that needs it and I also leave those in the incubator for another day. They come out the next day and the incubator/hatcher is cleaned for the next batch. If I have to Cull one---I hate it but You have to do what you have to do!

Last edited:
I know it can get stressful---If you get attached and got kids watching too!

Let me tell you what I do----when I light and put the good eggs in the hatcher on day 18---I close the door--It will not be open again till day 22 Unless all the eggs hatch before then. Sure I look in the window a few times during that Lock-Down time---sure sometimes I see a pipped egg that is not getting any larger after 24 hours, sure I might see a chick having a problem some times, legs not right, egg shell stuck to it etc---I am sorry but I will not risk all the rest by opening it to help this one. Most of the time the problem corrects itself. If it goes to day 22 I open and remove all hatched chicks, If I have one or two that have pipped, still alive, sure I help them out the shell---wash off any that needs it and I also leave those in the incubator for another day. They come out the next day and the incubator/hatcher is cleaned for the next batch. If I have to Cull one---I hate it but You have to do what you have to do!

Excellent advice! I wish, wish wish I had known. It'll be years before we will need to incubate again (knock on wood)

Update: Looking fine this morning! Chirping up a storm. Drank a lot, too. Swelling still better. The "prolapse" seems smaller, still with what looks like a scab(?) or just a dark area. Drier than yesterday.

Do I have to keep her separated from the brooder chicks? She's sooo lonely! That is, if she doesn't get picked on... I'm desperate for advice. I don't want to lose the rest of the chicks if this one is contagious.

Also, girl or boy??

I am sure the other chicks will peck this chick on the scab/rear. Chickens are just that way.
hmm.png

You're probably right. It's so lonely and cramped in the incubator. Should I set up a separate brooder then? Or a box in the brooder?
Do you think this one is contagious?? I still don't know exactly what it was.
idunno.gif

hmm.png

You're probably right. It's so lonely and cramped in the incubator. Should I set up a separate brooder then? Or a box in the brooder?
Do you think this one is contagious?? I still don't know exactly what it was.
idunno.gif
I would have already had it out the incubator and put it in a brooder, with heat, water and food. It will be OK alone. I just put a 2 week old one with its siblins. It had a wound/spot on its head. It stayed by its self for the 2 weeks while the spot healed. No, I would feel sure its not contagious.

Oh, wow, was I surprised when I tried putting this one in the brooder.
The others couldn't get near it's bottom. This tiny little bird is a BIG bully! And it's LOUD.

Main problem was the Australorps. So docile! And this little wellie was grabbing thier black toes and trying to run away with them!
I separated her with the two alpha Sussex chicks - very laid back, but I feel bad subjecting them to this racket!
Top it all off the only one pecking on her is the other Welsummer, I just worried that the big Wellie might learn new tricks. :-/

This was taken just after she pit the Buff's beak. No one is fighting this one back!! Complete bully!

They're so cute! Happy to see sticky pulling through and looking good! They have such different personalities, it's good you're putting them together now, it seems tougher the older they are. Noticed on my last hatch that was over two days that the first two hatched together seemed to be bonded after a day of eye poking. The next two were the same and for the first week in brooder they would pair off this way. Now the four stick together. Thanks for updating and sharing video!

Back
Top Bottom