Do Brahmas go broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stilldeb, Dec 2, 2011.

1. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    Not that I want them too, because we don't hatch anything, but my Silkies seem to spend their whole lives broody [​IMG], and my D'Uccles and Cochin frizzle have been broody, heck even my Sebright tried it for a couple of days but decided she couldn't hold still that long. But I have three great big Brahmas that have never been broody, so I was just wondering if this was common? Most of my nest boxes are occupied with broody Silkies anyway, gotta leave a couple open for actual egg-laying!

2. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I have three, and we're a way aways from broodiness just yet, but I sure hope so, because their big fluffy butts could cover a whole lotta eggs!

3. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    Quote:See, that's what I was thinking, if they never go broody, what's the point of that huge booty? [​IMG]

4. lindat01

lindat01 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2011
    NEW????? What is Broodiness??

5. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Quote:When a hen is broody, she wants to hatch eggs [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope my brahma goes broody. I hope any of my pullets will. I'm trying to hatch natural before incubating...we will see. I have read that brahma broodiness is fairly common.

6. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Crikey....have I got a different type of Brahma from everyone else. My Brahmas spend most of their lives broody. My biggest and best hen (weight nearly 11lbs) has hatched lots and lots of eggs. She laid about 6 eggs as a pullet, then became broody and has been broody at least 3 times every summer since. She is now just under 3 years old.

All my other pure Brahma hens (and I have quite a few) have been broody at least once each summer, and most twice.

My Brahma crosses are not nearly so determined to become mums.

7. soztas12

soztas12 New Egg

Apr 6, 2013
    .I have had my two buff brahma hens for 10 months now and
    none of them are laying eggs!![​IMG] ones face is really red and she walks really slowly to. the other one has a light red face and walks around with the other chickens looking for food. i want to know if this is normal. aslo do they go broody?? please help asap. Thanks![​IMG]

8. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I've heard hatchery Brahmas hardly ever go broody. Those from breeders are more likely to go broody.

I've had Brahmas for going on six years, and none have ever gone broody. All hatchery birds, though.

9. PSJ

PSJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Sabine Parish, La
    I've heard silkies are known for broodiness. I've actually been thinking about getting a couple just for that.

10. megarox

megarox New Egg

Dec 31, 2016
    Chicks from hatcherys never go broody, my best incubator is our turkeys they can take up to 70 eggs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by