Do Broodys know when to give up on unhatched eggs?

heybarb

Songster
7 Years
Mar 9, 2012
North Carolina
I've got my first broody girl that hatched one egg on Friday and three more eggs on Sat/Sunday. There are still 2 eggs under her. She keeps pushing them under her, so I'm assuming that she thinks they'll hatch. Today is day 4 since the first one hatched, so I'm beginning to think that they might not hatch...should I take them from her? She hasn't left the nest since Thursday. I did give her food and water yesterday, but she seems very content to just keep sitting there...

im no expert but she may have layed them while she was nesting and possible there not fertile but then again could be that the babies arent ready yet might leave her for another day or so..... not much info but hope it helps u sum.....congrats on ur new babies
jumpy.gif

Make sure there is food and water available for the chicks that did hatch and leave her. She'll know when to give up.

The mama & chicks do have access to food & water now, so I guess I'll just let her be. The two eggs that haven't hatched are actually not her eggs. She sat on 3 of her eggs plus 3 leghorn eggs. I put the 3 big eggs under her at the same time. One leghorn egg hatched on Friday, then her 3 on Sat/Sun...That's another reason I am a little concerned (or confused).

On another note, I heard cheeping coming from under one of our old buildings, so I'm guessing that Sally's chicks are hatching too. It's funny how 3 sisters all went broody within a day or two of each other. I can't get to Sally's nest so I have no idea how many eggs she has or when she might show herself with her babies. My goal is to catch her & her chicks when they come out...we'll see how that plan goes...

The 3rd sister got up from her nest a few days ago and never looked back. It sure is strange how they can all be so different!

I've had some broodies that will kick out infertile or undeveloping eggs - but I've also had some that would sit on them until they explode.

Fastest way to find out if they are viable is to candle them.

Sally showed up yesterday afternoon with 4 little chicks of her own, so that gives us a total of 8 chicks - 7 are OEG/Buff Cochin and the yellow chick is the one egg that the mama's didn't lay...it's a white leghorn/buff cochin mix. I had forgotten how tiny they are. The yellow chick looks like a giant compared to the little ones!

PS Mama is STILL sitting on the other two leghorn eggs...If I candle them, what should I see if they are "alive?" Will I be able to see movement?

My broody hen will NOT give up until theres a baby under her ! the first batch of eggs were all duds, I slipped 6 more different kinds of eggs under her (not her eggs) She is still sitting on it after 35 days! Hope she will have some soon ! Tick tock! tick tock!! I am still waiting too !

Close to hatch, you will just see darkness. If it has pipped internally, you won't even see an air sac - it will be all dark. You might see minor movement, but this close to hatch, they are usually already in position for hatching. If you see a lot of light through the egg, then it is a dud or a quitter.

Close to hatch, you will just see darkness. If it has pipped internally, you won't even see an air sac - it will be all dark. You might see minor movement, but this close to hatch, they are usually already in position for hatching. If you see a lot of light through the egg, then it is a dud or a quitter.

Both eggs were duds! I candled them on Monday night and there was lots of light showing through! Bummer, but we did end up with 8 really cute chicks - and because these two bigger eggs didn't hatch, our one yellow chick (White Leghorn) looks like The Ugly Duckling with her brothers & sisters! S/he towers over the little brown bantam chicks!

Back
Top Bottom