Do button quails have seizures?

Imapsychowhoa

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 6, 2010
I have a male button quail with 4 female button quail's..Last week i saw he fell over and start shaking and moving his head around in circles as he flopped all over the cage shaking, i didn't know what was wrong with him so i picked him up and he still did it then stopped and acted normal again.I put him back in the cage and almost everyday he has been doing that sometimes twice a day.I was thinking maybe he has seizures? Or does it sound like something else?

I've never heard of one having seizures, but I'm sure it's possible. Could he have injured his head? It is surely something neurological.

Buttons should be kept in male/female pairs or in same-sexed groups. Maybe he's killing himself having to 'service' 4 females? If you decide you need some more boys (you do need them...I guess it's if you decide you want them), I have at least 10 single boys looking for new girlfriends
smile.png

He hit his head before on the top of the cage a while ago but i don't see any lumps.he does breed with the females and one was trying to set on the eggs but i took them away. i was thinking at first maybe he had mites because it sort of looked like he was trying to itch his head but none of the other quail do that.I have two cages now.The ones in the colony are ok and i never see them fighting so i left them
smile.png
Luckily my dad said he would help build a bigger cage for them to live outside since the weather is getting warmer.I had one large cage last summer but the wire was too big. one male got loose and ran away before i could get him. i ended up downloading a quail video from youtube of "quails singing" to my mp3 player and i left it near the cage.It took almost all day but was able to catch him with a net, when he came to the calls.

It is possible he is having seizures. Anything with a brain could have them. Most seizures are just electrical storms in the brain. Not sure if quail seizures are the same as people seizures, but when a person has a real good seizure it is usually followed by a good deep sleep. Just my .02

Here is something you could try to help with seizures. And I am not saying that it will cure or even fix the problem, but it couldn't hurt. I had a Lovebird that was diagnosed with seizures at two years old. She was having them twice a week. (seizing up, falling over, stiffening and of course scared to death. ) So it was recommended that I try putting apple cider vinegar in her water. So I did this for one week and you know she stopped with the seizures for over a month. Over the course of her 12 years of life, the seizures were almost non existent, only have a few a year.

And you know, it can do no harm as ACV has been claimed to be an antibiotic, antifungal, beefs up the intestinal tract and is great for the plumage. I use it all the time for my Bobwhite quail and I have to say that after a few days on it, they are bursting with energy. And it also helps control odor in the poo.

Mix 1 tablespoon per quart of water. They will actually enjoy the taste of the water, tasting like apples which quail love. Good luck!
smile.png

Oh, and change the water once a day
smile.png

Last edited:
I usually give them sand or grit in a bowl every week.When i was younger i had a seizure and i don't remember any of it and i think i black out during the whole thing.He doesn't sleep afterwards he just get's up and act's fine.I have never heard of the apple cider vinegar in water before, i will try that.I have lovebirds also
big_smile.png

Thanks

I had one that had seizures. Basically just like what you were describing. He was the one egg that hatched after an incubator malfunction. Three days before they were due to hatch, the temp got up to 120 degrees for about 45 minutes. So I blamed his condition on that. He only lived to be about 5 months old.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom