Do call ducks 'grey out'?

Mallard derived drakes have two color phases - eclipse or 'resting' phase and nuptial or 'breeding' phase. He will color up again during your early autumn/winter.

Mallard derived drakes have two color phases - eclipse or 'resting' phase and nuptial or 'breeding' phase. He will color up again during your early autumn/winter.
That is, quite simply, amazing! I never would have guessed that. When I saw the white spots come out on his cheeks I thought he was losing his black cap forever.

Trafalgar, OMG that's such an awesome name! :p
Ah yes. When he was still a baby he and his sister Leelu were 'Truth' and 'Light' for the light series by Marion Zimmer Bradley and their other sibling 'Thorne' is from the same vein. As they got older 'Light' became Leelu, it became obvious 'Truth' was a boy and he became 'Trafalgar True' for one of my favourite children's books. Thorne is still Thorne, and it suits him down to the ground. The 'mother duck' of this family was Amelia, now we've decided its a drake too and it is simply Mel.

Amelia? That's my name! :p Also Leela is adorable...please tell me there's a Corbin and/or a Zorg!

I recall when my Clyde lost his green head, he looked so odd, like one of the girls lol He is a classic grey call. As for horses? yes, know that all to well my mare is so pale compared to her foal self.

As mentioned above, ducks will molt multiple times a year. Drakes will often lose their color and look very dull. They will get the color and curly tail feather back though :)

But to also answer your question, black, blue, and chocolate ducks will "gray out". Each year they will get more and more white in color.
Pictured is a chocolate call drake (I no longer have him). I got him as a day old duckling. Fully feathered, he was solid chocolate. Each year, he would get a handful of white feathers. In this picture, he is 4 years old and quite "mottled" with white!

I recall when my Clyde lost his green head, he looked so odd, like one of the girls lol He is a classic grey call. As for horses? yes, know that all to well my mare is so pale compared to her foal self.
My stallion is a homozygous grey born chestnut and I bred him to a very dark mare. When born the foal was brown but scattered with grey hairs - like she couldnt wait until she was born to start greying out! She's now very pale with a black mane and tail, but in time will be all white like her 25 year old grandma!

Back
Top Bottom