Risk of duck being stolen— what should I do?

Fangeddeer

Songster
Apr 23, 2023
Couple months ago I went on a walk with my ducks and a dude stoped me and lectured me about how the duck I hand raised was his and I needed to give it back. No matter how much I tried to explain it was mine and I bought n raised it since a day old he still don’t believe me but let me go. Same dude was caught in my backyard feeding my ducks with two family members and they still don’t believe me.

I no longer can sleep at night after this event, I’m so scared my drake is going to be taken and knowing I can’t prove it.. any advice? I don’t know if this goes here. I’ll remove the post if needed. My friends don’t know what to do, too nervous to talk to family and I don’t know what to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do have a lot of baby photos tho (way more than below)

Attachments

• IMG_5258.jpeg
    IMG_5258.jpeg
    462 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5259.jpeg
    IMG_5259.jpeg
    437.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5260.jpeg
    IMG_5260.jpeg
    941.6 KB · Views: 5
Contact law enforcement. They were trespassing, harassing and you don't feel safe.
That should be enough for them to contact them about it.
Thank you, I was thinking of this but I prefer to contact if absolutely necessary(which ofc this is necessary but I’m skittish about doing all that n calling them bc I haven’t before)

PS... I put locks on my coops and the run. Anyone entering without the key would cause damage. Trail cams can catch them in the act.
I could get an extra lock, the one I got wouldn’t cause damage bc it’s just a removable bar. But I do have space for one of those slide locks that you can put an lock on when closed (don’t know the name but I’ve seen them before)

And then two trail cams— one for inside and one for outside of the coop.

too nervous to talk to family and I don’t know what to do.
Why are you nervous to talk to family?
If you live with family that should be the first thing you do.
He's already been on your property. Everyone there needs to be aware of what's going on.

Why are you nervous to talk to family?
If you live with family that should be the first thing you do.
He's already been on your property. Everyone there needs to be aware of what's going on.

I took it to mean they were nervous to talk to the other family....the trespassing people.

I do agree everyone in the OP's home needs to be aware of what's going on.

"Same dude was caught in my backyard feeding my ducks with two family members and they still don’t believe me." (report)

It's helpful to know what country and region you live in. If it's U.S.A., are you walking your ducks legally? If so, a police (or sheriff?) report should be made ASAP, like in the next 30 minutes. Generally, law enforcement takes the view that most info provided at 1st isn't correct, they sift thru a lot of lying daily. If you have a report in beforehand, they'll take the stance that you're the victim and the other party is the perpetrator so they may act pronto if any duck napping occurs.

Odd things happen, life is stranger than fiction. Criminal minded rarely take much effort and avoid law enforcement. The person that bothers getting a report filed is not likely to be the criminal and police will operate from that premise. Exception may be some city law enforcement is understaffed and too overwhelmed to deal with duck stealing.

Back
Top Bottom