Do Cats Eat Chickens?

I've solved the roaming-neighborhood/stray cat-in-my-yard issue by training my dog to "get the kitty!" She chases them like gangbusters right to the edge of the yard. When we got the chickens, she wanted to eat them, but since we've had them for a couple of weeks, she now realizes they are part of the family and will sit near their coop facing outward, challenging any predatory intruders who dare to pass...so cute!

What if the cat you so kindly killed was someone's beloved pet. Didn't they at least deserve a chance for a warning? I am a vegetarian so I hate to see any animal killed for anyone's food but it is a cat's nature just like it is ours. Again they at least deserve 1 warning.

Since I cannot use a shotgun, any cats around our coop get shot with a B.B gun. Since I am homeschooled, I am around the coop almost 24/7. I am around whenever cats are near our property, and if they place their dainty, furry, lil paws on our turf, I shoot em with the B.B gun. Take that, kitty! I used to lose chickens to a cat called murray. A few shots in the butt with a B.B gun and he is no longer coming around. I guess cats are a bit intelligent.

Shooting cats is a terrible thing!
Most of the times they don't die but they only get injured and suffer through it.
If you've spent some money to setup a coop please spend a little more and get a humane deterrent for cats or other animals around your area. I hope this link helps most of you who think shooting cats is the only solution.
http://www.catrepellent-deterrent.com/outdoor-cat-repellents/

Last edited:
Yes in differernt stages.

Chicks are attacked fist. Unless mama hen is a good broody.

When the chicks turn adolesance they are easy targets cause they tend to explore on their own.

Then when they are completely get left by mom they are apt to getting attacked.

Adults, with my banty crew. Will be hunted due to size. plus they are often skittish and an attack happens.

Big chooks, I have never seen my large gals get hunted by cats in my neck of the woods. but there is always a first.

Hope this helps...
You hit the nail on the head...we had cats before we had chickens...2 cats to be exact.
One cat, paul doesn't even check out the chickens...but our other cat, earl that showed up as a feral kitten is a great hunter. Mice, rats, birds that fly low, birds out of nests...whatever he can catch really
And he never even looked at the large chickens...but we got a bantam sized mama hen with 7 adolescent chicks and Earl will try to get a chick off by itself and get it...so now we just keep him in when the chicks are out.

Shooting cats is a terrible thing!
Most of the times they don't die but they only get injured and suffer through it.
If you've spent some money to setup a coop please spend a little more and get a humane deterrent for cats or other animals around your area. I hope this link helps most of you who think shooting cats is the only solution. 
http://www.catrepellent-deterrent.com/outdoor-cat-repellents/
I thinks that's a great idea... now if only the cat owners would chip in and buy those stuff for me to use in my property I will gladly use them... otherwise it's live trap and one bullet to the head.

I have a neighbor whos cats come over in my yard and the cat comes to my coop . All i do is let the dog out and the chickens are safe. My dog is very fond of the chickens and he loves playing with them. I have show chickens so i try to keep them safe.

No, No, No, don't shoot cats!!!!
On the other hand they will indeed eat chickens but mostly the small ones. And once they learn about eggs you can forget ever gathering any more if the cat can get in the coop!
A medium size cat can grab an egg and run off with it, and will soon discover how to steal it from the hens even if she is a good protector of the nest.
But PLEASE don't harm the kitty!!!! Find a better way to house your birds.
Just my 2 cents worth

they'll get the same warning as my chickens are when their roaming pest killed them... if they love their animals so much, keep it in their own property.
X 2 feral and free roaming cats are a scourge upon wildlife and upon occasion can become poultry killers. Just as a plant out of place is a weed, a pet out of place can be regarded as a predator.

Back
Top Bottom