Do cats eat chickens??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chickengirl47, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Chickengirl47

Chickengirl47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Louisiana
    Hi, I was wondering if cats eat chickens, because I have a gray barn cat that I'm thinking killed my free-range Sumatra bantam hen. She was my favorite. I think she was a mix breed though because she layed cream colored eggs. Anyway, I asked my friend if her cat's messed with the chickens, and she said she never herd of cats killing chickens. Any help would be wonderful!

Thanks!

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Most cats won't bother full grown chickens, but it is possible

3. BethanyS

BethanyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2012
    middle Tennessee
    Really just depends. our cat would probably kill a chick or possibly and bantam. we were careful not to let him near them when they were small. he is very interested in the chickens I have seen him run after them a few times but the rooster always send him packing lol. I hate to hear that about your Bantam. it is possible your cat did it but if you have never seen him interested in the chickens before it's unlikely he is the culprit

4. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Cats will prey on pullets or chicks. Really just depends on the cat's personality AND the size of the chicken. One of mine got taken by a neighbouring cat just before she could lay her 1st egg, but they've all been left alone since they reached full size. Just keep an eye on them! Especially Bantams![​IMG]

5. Chickengirl47

Chickengirl47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Louisiana
    Thanks. I want to get a bantie coop.[​IMG]

6. TallChickMagnet

TallChickMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2012
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    One of my cats stays away from the chickens while the other one hangs out in the run with them. Neither one even bothers the birds. This is strange because the one that hangs out in the run also chases the other cat around and plays rough with the dogs...
    [​IMG]

7. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Like others have said, it depends on the cat. If you do a search you will find plenty of posts where cats have killed chickens, even adult standard-size chickens. One neighbor cat tried to snatch one of my Showgirls right in front of me. So all my bantams are kept in enclosed covered pens, and i don't tolerate any neighbor cat in our yard.

8. Chicken kid12

Chicken kid12 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2014
    It depends on the cat! My cousins have chickens and a cat, and they are both free range with no backyard fence: not on of them has been hurt. But our chickens have been stalked by cats, and out of the 14 we have had, 6 have died :-( But out of the 6, only one not been a sex link so they may be targeting certain breeds :-(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by