Do cats get along with chickens?

racuda

Songster
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
North Carolina
Mine do.
smile.png

The chickens come for the cat food but unfortunately leave a few "deposits" behind.

IMG_2575.jpg

49636_img_9986.jpg

Sadly, there's no great love between our cat & chickens. Theo-kitty is very interested in the girls, but when she tried to sneak up on them once, all four chickens charged her and gave her quite a scare. She now keeps a respectful, if fearful, distance most of the time.

I have inside and outside cats. The outside cats don't even glance at the chickens...three of the inside cats try to catch them. I think it's because there are feral chickens that have taught the outside cats that chickens are not to be messed with. I need for mine to get bigger and then maybe they can educate the inside cats.
sharon

Quote:
This is the same for me. We can't even feed the cat out back anymore because the chickens chase the cat and inhale its food
big_smile.png

Our barncat brings dead mice and rats to our chickens for them to eat.
roll.png
So they love her. She sometimes naps in their coop, as well, especially if the heat lamps are going. In return, the chickens like to climb up on the porch shelving to get to the cat's food to eat it.
idunno.gif

Quote:
This is the same for me. We can't even feed the cat out back anymore because the chickens chase the cat and inhale its food
big_smile.png

Yeah, I can only feed the outside cats after dark, and sometimes not even them.

Imp

Back
Top Bottom