1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do cats get along with chickens?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by racuda, Jan 1, 2011.

1. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Mine do. [​IMG]

The chickens come for the cat food but unfortunately leave a few "deposits" behind.

[​IMG]

2. kfchickenlady

kfchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    Cute! [​IMG]

3. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Mine too:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. cleoandtheo

cleoandtheo Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

Sadly, there's no great love between our cat & chickens. Theo-kitty is very interested in the girls, but when she tried to sneak up on them once, all four chickens charged her and gave her quite a scare. She now keeps a respectful, if fearful, distance most of the time.

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

They get along, but the chickens rule the backyard.

Imp

6. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I have inside and outside cats. The outside cats don't even glance at the chickens...three of the inside cats try to catch them. I think it's because there are feral chickens that have taught the outside cats that chickens are not to be messed with. I need for mine to get bigger and then maybe they can educate the inside cats.
    sharon

7. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Quote:This is the same for me. We can't even feed the cat out back anymore because the chickens chase the cat and inhale its food [​IMG]

8. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Our barncat brings dead mice and rats to our chickens for them to eat. [​IMG] So they love her. She sometimes naps in their coop, as well, especially if the heat lamps are going. In return, the chickens like to climb up on the porch shelving to get to the cat's food to eat it. [​IMG]

9. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:This is the same for me. We can't even feed the cat out back anymore because the chickens chase the cat and inhale its food [​IMG]

Yeah, I can only feed the outside cats after dark, and sometimes not even them.

Imp

10. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    They seem to think that chicks are a buffet around here-
    [​IMG]
    (They don't get near the chicks until the chicks are grown!

This is usually what happens-
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by