Do chickens eat ants or do they avoid them?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Phage, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist Premium Member

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    I was wondering if chickens eat ants in addition to other insects, or do they avoid them?

I ask because some ants are collecting at one end of the coop. The 4 hens always lay at the other end of the coop. Is that because they don't like ants, or are the ants there because they don't use that end ... sorta like a chicken and egg question.......

2. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Chillin' With My Peeps

I was splitting firewood and got a piece of pine that had some carpenter ants in it. Puff Daddy started eating them but I don't think he thought they were very wonderful. Otherwise he would have called a few pullets over to impress them with his find.

1 person likes this.
  3. detali

detali Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    My chickens also seem to be avoiding ants. They go crazy for any other kind of bugs but just look at ants and walk on.

4. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    It's funny you ask that question today. I was outside pulling weeds by the barn, thank God I was standing, I felt something on my legs and there were about 20 red ants on me. I was jumping up and down trying to get them off. I called my chickens and they would not touch them. [​IMG]

I guess that doesn't help, sorry.

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    My chickens won't touch them.

6. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    I've seen mine do it, until their legs started to get bitten [​IMG]

7. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    i put an old log in the coop not realizing there were tons of carpenter ants in it.. the hens picked it clean.. i was suprised because ants have a smell to them.. ugh

8. chixrus

chixrus Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    only my silkies will eat them

9. beginnerchick08

beginnerchick08 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2008
    Alabama
    Mine use to eat them but the ants start bitting and they didnt like that. So now they dont bother with them.

10. i'mclucked

i'mclucked Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2009
    my girls won't touch native red ant's[ so. cal] . in my corn patch , they kill the the non native ants ,[ from so. america], who are aphid mining my corn. this is a blessing, although the girls , do reap havoc on any corn within their reach.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by