Do chickens eat bread?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dulcimer lady, May 24, 2010.

1. dulcimer lady

dulcimer lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Have some leftover cornbread and wondered if I could give it to my girls.

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Bread is fine. Just don't give them a lot at once. [​IMG]

3. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    noboby in my house will eat the bum end of the loaf of bread... so i feed it to my chickens

4. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Chickens will eat bread until their crops are bursting. Thus the don't give them a lot at once. Whole grain is better for them (much like us).

I've found that bread is one of their favorite treats. My girls have used bread bits to teach the chickens tricks!

5. pharr389

pharr389 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2007
    southeast georgia
    yes they'll eat it

6. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Dogs, geese, chickens... they ALL get bread in my house...lol

We go to the Hostess store and get a 50g trash can FULL of loaves of bread for $5 [​IMG] [​IMG]

Once a week treat for all![​IMG]

7. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I have been feeding all of my birds left over's of bread,eggshell's, green veggie's etc. for year's.I always try to divide it equaly between the different coop's so one group doesn't get too much.They go nutzzzzzzz for it.I used to buy a couple huge loaf's of day old french bread about once a week for my geese and duck's also.Good thing they usualy stayed at pond area hehe.Oh well they loved it anyway.

8. Rennie

Rennie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    I have to feed my chickens bread by hand ..If i just throw it into the run the cockerel will go mad and fight the girls until he has it all .. Its funny to watch him with one peice in his mouth running round with the girls following him trying to get it off him.. not so funny seeing one of the girls with a piece and him grabbing them by the neck feathers and pinning them to the ground untill they surrender it to him

9. Mrs. Green Thumbs

Mrs. Green Thumbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Iv fed my girls left over hot dog buns, they LOVED it. Just gotta be careful with how much at once you give them.

10. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Quote:That's so funny! My roo won't eat hardly any of the treats... he jut watches his girls eat.

To OP - bread and grapes are my girls favorite treats. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by