Do chickens ever seem sick before laying 1st egg?

Yes, I wash out the coop first thing in the morning, and let it dry over the day. I’ve not had it over the fall and winter yet, so I’ve only been washing it during the hot summer. I might have to change how I do it over the rainy fall to keep it from staying damp.
Never necessary to 'hose out' a coop, IMO. Not good for coop or chickens.

They also get once a day a couple handfuls of those little fatty chicken treats
What exactly are these? Link to product would be good.

Does she look and feel ready to lay?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

She isn't starting to molt is she?
Probably not, at 24 weeks.

Yes, I wash out the coop first thing in the morning, and let it dry over the day, I wipe it down with a wet rag usually just with vinegar water. I’ve not had it over the fall and winter yet, so I’ve only been washing it during the hot summer. I might have to change how I do it over the rainy fall to keep it from staying damp.

So far they’ve just been on medicated crumbles, but as they are almost all 24 weeks I was going to be buying layer pellets and starting to wean them on to them. They also get once a day a couple handfuls of those little fatty chicken treats (not every day only when I have bought a bag), vegetables like a cob of corn between 7 chickens, some scratch, apple or pears as they fall off the trees, the occasional tomato, oats or wheat groats here and there.

I have a trough for grit that is always full in their coop.

If she’s still doing this action I’ll take a video. And I’ll check the poop board really well this morning.
Stop all the treats and get them on the layer feed today.

I’ll go buy layer pellets today and add them into their food.

I’ve nefer hosed out the coop. I just wipe it down with a damp rag and use elbow grease to get any poop off. Dust it off and take out all the shavings. Let it dry out over 8 hours or so and replace the shavings once everything feels dry.
It’s never damp in the coop. As it’s my first time owning it, i check how the shavings feel every morning when I clean off the poop board, because I want to make sure that it’s staying dry.

7AEC40C8-C1F3-4850-980B-C4DBFB255AFA.png

These are the treats I was talking about. They get a few of these on the ground, either before bed time or when they first get out of their run to free range.

Otherwise it’s scratch, usually just before they put themselves to bed.

On the layer feed, I had read when first looking in to getting chickens that you could just feed chick feed until they lay, but I hadn’t realized as they are April/May hatched birds that they may not lay this season until now. So I’ll start moving them over to layer today.

Should I then start adding I oyster shell or wait until I see eggs?! If it’s possible that Trex is trying to pass a soft shelled egg, I guess it might be time?

I’ll go buy layer pellets today and add them into their food.

I’ve nefer hosed out the coop. I just wipe it down with a damp rag and use elbow grease to get any poop off. Dust it off and take out all the shavings. Let it dry out over 8 hours or so and replace the shavings once everything feels dry.
It’s never damp in the coop. As it’s my first time owning it, i check how the shavings feel every morning when I clean off the poop board, because I want to make sure that it’s staying dry.

View attachment 1919061
These are the treats I was talking about. They get a few of these on the ground, either before bed time or when they first get out of their run to free range.

Otherwise it’s scratch, usually just before they put themselves to bed.

On the layer feed, I had read when first looking in to getting chickens that you could just feed chick feed until they lay, but I hadn’t realized as they are April/May hatched birds that they may not lay this season until now. So I’ll start moving them over to layer today.

Should I then start adding I oyster shell or wait until I see eggs?! If it’s possible that Trex is trying to pass a soft shelled egg, I guess it might be time?
It seems like you are feeding treats daily.
If you are feeding more than about a tablespoon per bird you are feeding too much which takes away from them getting a balanced diet.

You can leave them on chick food for their entire life if you offer oyster shell on the side.
But if you only have hens then it is better, in my opinion, to not give them the option of eating calcium on their own... And just feed a layer type feed to them.

starting them on a layer type feed or offering oyster shell a few weeks before they're due to lay their first egg is better than waiting until you see an egg.

Thank you! I’ll definitely cut down on the treats, and yes I’ve Been giving them a bit every day, I’ll starting mixing in the layer pellets too.

It seems like you are feeding treats daily.
If you are feeding more than about a tablespoon per bird you are feeding too much which takes away from them getting a balanced diet.

You can leave them on chick food for their entire life if you offer oyster shell on the side.
But if you only have hens then it is better, in my opinion, to not give them the option of eating calcium on their own... And just feed a layer type feed to them.

starting them on a layer type feed or offering oyster shell a few weeks before they're due to lay their first egg is better than waiting until you see an egg.

I agree the treats are not helping.

Her condition is still unknown to me. Good nutrition can be beneficial.

Thank you! I’ll definitely cut down on the treats, and yes I’ve Been giving them a bit every day, I’ll starting mixing in the layer pellets too.
I prefer zero treats.
If you only feed a teeny tiny amount it is ok but feeding too much can do serious damage.

Okay, well... maybe she just had a moment. She’s zooming around the yard this morning in her usual fashion.
F17ED9C0-8AB5-4D08-861C-B4B92D195552.jpeg

I will keep an eye on her and put all the suggestions for food into action.

This might be a case of a new chicken mama, not a sick chicken. She’s just my favourite chicken and it looked so odd what she was doing.

I checked out under the roosts this morning and no soft shelled egg, or eggy looking poops.

Maybe I over reacted. But maybe it’s a good thing because I got advice on food and such. She is just my favorite bird, and I’m new to this.
Thanks everyone!

This might be a case of a new chicken mama, not a sick chicken. She’s just my favourite chicken and it looked so odd what she was doing.
First year of keeping chickens is the hardest......but you'll start to recognize behaviors and learn what should be addressed and what just makes you say 'silly chickens'.
Keep reading here and never hesitate to ask if you are unsure.

Man, that is one prodigious beard!!

Back
Top Bottom