Do chickens get constipated? picture added

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by animalgirl2010, Mar 15, 2009.

1. animalgirl2010

animalgirl2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    bootheel of missouri
    So this may be a dumb questions but when I went to the coop yesterday I found a hen and she was straining and standing still not moving. I took her and put her in a cage by herself she is very swollen in the vent area. So I got some warm water and soaked her in it after I brought her out she started to poo and alot. She is still straining and looks very uncomfortable. Could I give her a laxative or enema or something like that? What else could it be if not this? and what should I do? thanks in advance
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    this was after her soak so that is why she looks wet

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

she could be eggbound, which may appear as constipation because they are straining to lay the egg...

3. animalgirl2010

May 9, 2008
    bootheel of missouri
    I thought about her being egg bound while I was soaking her but would she have lots of feces also? I didnt feel any eggs but I am new to this so I dont really know what to look for.

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

If she's eggbound, it could causeing a blockage.... anyone else want to jump in and advise?

5. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

How old is she?
    has she laid already?

6. animalgirl2010

May 9, 2008
    bootheel of missouri
    she is about 18 months old. I dont kmow if she has layed ever she is in with about 30 other just mixed breed hens. I would guess she has layed before with her age. I soaked her again and I think she looks more comfortable, but I didnt feel an egg in her.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  7. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    has that mass gone down in size with the soaking?...

there was also someone here that removed a huge mass from their chicken but i cant remember her name....I think the chickens name might have been lucky...she got her from another farmer in that condition...

8. animalgirl2010

May 9, 2008
    bootheel of missouri
    The swelling has gone down a little but still is quite large. She seems way more comfortable now though. She is not straining and she will eat today so I guess that is a good sign. I put some cream on her to help with the swelling.

9. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    remember nothing with "caine"...Novocaine, solarcaine...ect...poison to chickens

10. animalgirl2010

May 9, 2008
    bootheel of missouri
    I didnt know that, thanks. I didnt put that on her all I had was that butt paste diaper stuff so thats what I used dont know if that really helped but she seems to be more alert today. I let her out of her cage and she started scratching for bugs in the dirt so hopefully thats all it was and she is on the road to recovery.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by