Do chickens get heartburn?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Uzuri, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Dumb question, but after seeing the jalapeno thread, I'm curious to know! [​IMG]

I know they can't taste the hot stuff, but that of course doesn't mean that it won't stir their tums up (and leave them needing Tums!).

So I'm curious, does anyone know if certain foods can prompt partial regurgitation in chickens?

2. eaganchickens

eaganchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2008
    Eagan,MN
    I don't think chickens have the ability to regurgitate food and they don't have stomach acid so I don't think it's possible for them to get heartburn.

3. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Interesting -- I didn't know the bit about no stomach acid.

Wouldn't that be the life -- no reflux, no ulcers [​IMG]

4. rstampa

rstampa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Tampa, Florida
    Quote:Sorry to inform you but all animals have stomach acid. That's how we and all the other animals digest food, including chickens. Their PH must be much lower then ours since the don't seem to poop out what they eat. Like stones, feathers and god knows what else.

But to answer the OP question. I don't think it will hurt them like it does us. However it is still very hot and no matter what it's hot in their inners too. If you see flames coming out when the poop then you'll know.
    Ya ole have a great day.

5. eaganchickens

Sep 21, 2008
    Eagan,MN
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  6. eaganchickens

Sep 21, 2008
    Eagan,MN
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. rstampa

rstampa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Tampa, Florida
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  8. CuriousChicken

CuriousChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    What should you do if you suspect heart burn? Gave my chicken some dried peppers last night and this morning she fell off her perch, shes obviously distressed and I'm not sure what to do. I gave her new water and some fresh veggies, he access to scratch is limited at the mmoment. She ate it so fast this morning that she got a little lump in her throat, when is when I removed her bowl and gave her water. I know the lump passed to her crop but shes still flipping her lid, I have to wonder if its heart burn or is she just having a bad morning?

I just noticed her balance is off too, and shes shying away from face pets which she loves.

Last edited: May 12, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by