Do chickens have to roost?

Quote:
I don't know about that. My orpingtons never used the roost in their brooder or their coop. Mine are almost three months old...
lau.gif

Hmm, well then, I have no idea why some do, and some don't. My grown up BO's are usually the first ones on the roost in the evenings.

Quote:
I don't know about that. My orpingtons never used the roost in their brooder or their coop. Mine are almost three months old...
lau.gif

Hmm, well then, I have no idea why some do, and some don't. My grown up BO's are usually the first ones on the roost in the evenings.

I think mine are just lazy and spoiled. They all sleep in a pile together. However I think I'm going to keep adjusting the roost height to see if that's the problem. Maybe some just don't like the height it's put at when they're younger?

At first everyone slept on the floor in a pile. Then some brave ones started getting on the roosts. Then most were on the roosts. It finally got down to the last three...they were still in a corner in the floor. Now those three are roosting on the metal trash can lid where I store the feed. Lower than everyone else but no longer on the floor. Just this week one of the trio moved on up.

I figure it is just a matter of time before the last two find their way to the top.

They are safe. Locked up at night.

That is my story.

all of the assorted reds and the gold rooster we raised roost on the top of the gate instead of on the ground infront of it like they did for so long. the 2 yr old sexlinks my uncle gave us roost on the ground in a corner.

Quote:
ok change that... lol... I went out last night to see what my ducks were up to as they were still up at 3am conversing. All of my young ones were roosting on top of the gate and the older ones we acquired were all spaced out ontop of the brooding area....

Before I got my coop built I had my 12 in a pvc hoop run every night. There was a roost bar in there but it was only about 1.5' off the ground. Late one evening I went in to check on their water, food, etc. One of the BO's kept walking around me and looking up with that funny little cocked head tilt. I didn't realize she was checking ME out until she flew up onto my back ( was bent over some filling feeder)! It took a minute to get her off as she kept avoiding my hand when I reached up to get her. So I guess some take to it more than others, but I wouldn't worry about it if yours never get off the floor.

I have a lame hen who can't roost and lays eggs fine. My 3 pullet roost together every night. I'm trying to figure out why chicken need so much room in their coop when they just pile up together anyway. If I only had 3 square ft of coop I would still have plenty for these birds.lol

I had finally given up on my RIRs roosting, they slept curled up together in the nesting box while ignoring the roosts. One day last week I was cleaning up out in the woods (fallen trees) and had an idea. I decided to take out the "pre-made" roosts and put in 3 small logs resting on the straw..... they immediately ran in and claimed "theirs" and roost on them all night. I guess my girls want "natural"
idunno.gif

Last edited:
I give my chicks a mini-roost in their brooder, and they figure out quickly that they like to sit on it. When they move to the Big Girl coop, they roost from day one on. It's really cute watching the little ones get up on their little roost!
jumpy.gif

50766_cimg2593.jpg

I have read somewhere, and I really don't remember where (will try to find it) that it is only important that they roost in winter in extremely cold climates so that they don't freeze to death. If you have them in a mild climate, you don't have to worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom