Do chickens in one flock typically start laying around the same time??

mommyofthree

Songster
9 Years
May 18, 2010
I have 6 Isa Browns and 5 EE's. They are all approximately 17-18 weeks old. One of the Isa Browns layed her first egg last Friday!!
wee.gif
We've gotten one egg every morning since....I'm assuming all from her. Yesterday's egg was the size of my large eggs I get from the store!! Today the egg I got was much smaller, closer to the size of the first egg, which makes me wonder if it was from a different chicken. But since the one hen just started laying I wouldn't be surprised if the egg size is not consistent yet.
So do chickens in a flock normally start laying around the same time, or is it different with every hen? And is it normal for eggs to differ in size from day to day? I'm so excited that we're finally getting eggs!!
ya.gif

Until the egg-laying "machinery" gets well oiled, so to speak, egg size is small and can vary to some degree. However, laying flock members DO tend to induce others to start laying with them. Sort of like gals living together in dorms, their cycles begin to coordinate.

I had 2 start laying one day .. number 3 started the next day .. number 4 doesn't believe in laying eggs ..
roll.png
she can't even get excited with the other girls .. seems embarrassed by it ..
lol.png

Slackard.

My first 4 all started within about 10 days of each other, and the other two about 2 weeks after that (EEs were first, then faverolle, then welsummer, followed by the Australorp and Delaware) all were within the 20-24 week range when they first started laying.

Last edited:
I agree w/ gryeyes. The hormone thing. I am a medic for a girls camp... One gets going and the flood gates open.... Sorry for the bluntness men, I think the same is true for young men. That testosterone is a mighty powerful thing as well.

Last edited:
Quote:
I don't exactly agree with that but I'm a newby. My guess is if the birds are the siblings the same age they will most likely start laying within a few days of each other.
I have 3 different breeds all the same age 1 laying 2 not ready yet. Its a breed thing nothing to do with hormones.

Quote:
I don't exactly agree with that but I'm a newby. My guess is if the birds are the siblings the same age they will most likely start laying within a few days of each other.
I have 3 different breeds all the same age 1 laying 2 not ready yet. Its a breed thing nothing to do with hormones.

And I'll agree to disagree...lol. Yes, all of my pullets were the same age, but five different breeds. One began laying at 19 1/2 weeks, and the other four started within a week of one another, ending at 21 1/2 weeks. So I do think hormones plays a role....one seeing a layer triggering whatever it is that gets them to laying...

Each chicken is different and each breed is different. So generally, chickens will start laying somewhere between 19-24 weeks. You'll have some start earlier and some later. Your ISA's are a production breed, so they'll tend to start earlier and generally in the same time frame. The EE's mature a little slower, so you'll probably have to wait a bit longer for them.

ETA: They lay when their body is ready.

I'd say you have at least 2 girls laying.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom