1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do chickens like spent grain?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Sqwidy, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Sqwidy

Sqwidy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2014
    Austin, TX
    Hey! We're homebrewers new to chickens :) Random question: Do chickens like the spent grains from a wort? I'm thinking most of the sugar is probably out of the grains, but wasn't sure. Usually we just compost them. But I think I've heard of breweries giving the grains to ranchers? Cheers!

2. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    1 person likes this.
  3. Sqwidy

Sqwidy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2014
    Austin, TX
    Awesome -- thanks :)

4. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    A good tip for spent grains is to freeze them in small blocks (1# or so) and use them as a cooling treat when temps get bad. If you brew once ever week or two that will assure that they are fresh when you feed them. They will only last 2-3 days before they start to spoil if you don't do anything with them.

1 person likes this.
  5. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    If you're curious about a specific item as livestock feed, Feedipedia is the best place to start:

http://www.feedipedia.org/node/74

They're high protein, but have a ton of fiber in them, which makes them less digestible - they make a fine amendment for feeding adult birds, but probably shouldn't be used for broilers, or young turkeys, etc.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by