Do chickens like water?

Chick15

Songster
8 Years
Apr 21, 2011
I know chickens take dust baths, but how do they like normal water? today it is supposed to be 90 something degrees so I was thinking of maybe putting a little water in a kiddy pool or something for them to play in and cool off (with supervision of course)
Birds play in bird baths don't they? I want to prevent them from getting too hot...

I turn my hose to mist and mist over the chickens...they seem to love it... although they water pretty much beads off them. so really only their heads are getting wet.

Quote:
I don't know, but I think this is a great idea.
smile.png

My chickens do not! The look absolutely miserable when they get wet. Have you ever tried giving one a bath? I've only done that a couple, so maybe they just weren't used to it, but they definitely liked getting dried off with the hair dryer.
big_smile.png

We have puddles where I live, and I've NEVER seen my chickens taking a bath in one. Maybe its just never been hot enough. I can tell you they can swim a little. I had a hen fly into the base of an abandoned silo filled with water. She looked like a duck before I jumped in after her.

I just got done watering my garden and filling the duck pool, when I sprayed a fine mist over my 7 week old chicks.. They ran around a bit but in the end loved it my 5mnth old polish hens loved it they just stood there fluffed up and shook it all around.. So I would say in moderation they like it plus its over 100° here in Nevada.

We've had over 100 deg temperatures at my house for several months. I have a mister that I turn on for them to cool down the area by their coop. They really would rather dig holes in the garden under the trees and bushes and sit in the cool dirt. My dog does the same thing on hot days. they stay far away from large areas of water.

My chickens do not! The look absolutely miserable when they get wet. Have you ever tried giving one a bath? I've only done that a couple, so maybe they just weren't used to it, but they definitely liked getting dried off with the hair dryer.
big_smile.png

We have puddles where I live, and I've NEVER seen my chickens taking a bath in one. Maybe its just never been hot enough. I can tell you they can swim a little. I had a hen fly into the base of an abandoned silo filled with water. She looked like a duck before I jumped in after her.

were they bathed since babies though?
that can help a lot as chickies are sticklers for new things and change [huh,perhaps they are autistic] :p
all of mine dont mind water because had got them all used to it in the early days, one of them more than the others due to tough 'pasty butt'.
it feels very weird to them at first if they still have any baby feathers or downy fluff left.
its a good idea to get them used to the feeling of water when young -incase they ever get egg bound and its not so much a shock to them.

our old farm based ex batts [which were all slaughtered by several foxes] used to share the ducks mini pond.

I now leave a running hose for my girls. They lay in the puddles of the cool water and love it. They will lay in the streaming water and drink it too!

Mine are not chicks anymore they are hens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom