Do chickens like water?

Chick15

Songster
8 Years
Apr 21, 2011
I know chickens take dust baths, but how do they like normal water? today it is supposed to be 90 something degrees so I was thinking of maybe putting a little water in a kiddy pool or something for them to play in and cool off (with supervision of course)
Birds play in bird baths don't they? I want to prevent them from getting too hot...

My chickens do not! The look absolutely miserable when they get wet. Have you ever tried giving one a bath? I've only done that a couple, so maybe they just weren't used to it, but they definitely liked getting dried off with the hair dryer.
big_smile.png

We have puddles where I live, and I've NEVER seen my chickens taking a bath in one. Maybe its just never been hot enough. I can tell you they can swim a little. I had a hen fly into the base of an abandoned silo filled with water. She looked like a duck before I jumped in after her.

Regarding my last comment. I have eight girls, and six months ago added two ducklings. Unfortunately, one baby duck was taken. The other hurt, but is just fine and a huge Quacker. Took him a while to adapt with the girls, they pecked at him, until he got a bit big. And then it became funny. He thinks he's a chicken kinda, but knows his territory as a Duck. I separated them for a while but didn't work, they all were unhappy.

Long story short - I have a baby pool in my coop, which is a 14 x 14 dog runner, inclosed with two small coops inside, so we put them to bed at night so nothing eats them. Quack- AKA Quisine- loves his pool. We of course clean it daily cause he is messy, but so fun to watch. He can't wait till I get home from work and he will jump in, with a squirt of homemade soap and I will spray him. Soon as the boys get home they jump in and wash him and play. The chickens are now getting the hang of it and are jumping in. It is Adorable.

I turn my hose to mist and mist over the chickens...they seem to love it... although they water pretty much beads off them. so really only their heads are getting wet.

I just got done watering my garden and filling the duck pool, when I sprayed a fine mist over my 7 week old chicks.. They ran around a bit but in the end loved it my 5mnth old polish hens loved it they just stood there fluffed up and shook it all around.. So I would say in moderation they like it plus its over 100° here in Nevada.

Back
Top Bottom