1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

do chickens need a ramp?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Terrie Mac, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Terrie Mac

Terrie Mac Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    I have standard chickens that are getting big. They don't have a ramp to the coop but get in by jumping onto a plank that's about half the distance, then jumping into the coop. They seem to be doing okay so far but will it get harder for them as they grow? Should we build a ramp? The coop door is about 4 feet off the ground.

2. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I think going up is okay, but it's coming down that may eventually cause them problems. The heavier bird, the harder the landing. They're not the most graceful...[​IMG]

3. greenegglover

greenegglover Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I would have a ramp if its more than a foot and a half. Their tendons/muscles in there legs can get hurt in that high of a jump. For their sake I would be building it and installing it tonight!

4. Terrie Mac

Terrie Mac Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    So glad I asked-- thanks for the replies! I've noticed the ladies getting a little klutzy lately. We also have a small little dirt area I call "the chicken terrace" that's about 4 foot high off the run, a chair, and a couple of 2' pots. So basically they do a lot of jumping up and down off of things throughout the day.

5. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    My young poults have different ideas on how to get in and out of their coop, some fly in and out and some walk ever so carefully down and up the ramp all while watching the ground like they are on the empire state building lol. I am guessing when they get older they will use the ramp a bit more.

6. HappyChickenLover

HappyChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

yep, for layers i would, they get too fat and lazy. but now if u got game make them jump, they love it

7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Mine would. I have a couple that can not fly very high, my 2 heaviest breeds(brahma&cochin). I use a ramp both sides of the run door leading to outside. It's working out well and it was easy to make.

8. Inadalou

Inadalou New Egg

Jul 28, 2010
    Philippines
    Mine uses a ramp to go up on their roost which is 4 feet high. They also use the ramp when getting down but some would jump off when they reach halfway down the ramp.

9. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

The door of my coop lowers to the ground. My rooster seems to prefer the ride as to jumping 4 feet to the ground.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by