Do chickens pant?

make sure that they have shade.

If you don't have natural shade, use bungies and a tarp with gromets over their run -- or get some shade cloth. Shade can lower the temperature 10-degrees. If you don't have anything else, but you have a patio umbrella open it so that they have shade.

If they are on grass or sand, you could also hose the grass or sand a little. Mine sometimes scratch the grass and flop on it like a deflated balloon, or as other people have said -- they look like dead chickens sprawled out.

Other members on other topics have suggested wading pools, and cool dust baths.

Really make sure that they are not in the sun....solar power is huge (depending on where you are)

I keep a thermometer in my run too -- so that I know how hot it is.

Think cool thoughts.

I use the misting attachment on my hose nozzle and point it in the air so that the fine mist falls on my chickens, they LOVE it! I also make puddles in the shady spots for them, add ice to the water and for the coops that don't have much shade they all have tarps over the runs. I plan on buying one of those huge fans tomorrow too. It was awful today, around 100 and the humidity was miserable!
th.gif

I leaned a half a sheet of plywood against one side of the run and they can go behind it if they want but I am fortunate to live in the woods and they have a lot of shade. I do change the water in the four one gallon wateres I have down for them in a 10x10 covered run. One thing I learned years ago in the coop is ventilation, ventilation, and more ventilation!!! They will pant a bit but do ok if they have some shade.

Good Luck!!!

*****************************************************************************************************
41 Acres of Wooded Paradise, 3 Disabled Cats, 39 Guineas, 10 Austros, Creame Branbanters, Mottled Houdans, A couple of Heinz 57 birds and 7 new Serama's. Life is REALLY GOOD here in Delaware!!!
big_smile.png

I love this site!!!Everyone has just answered a question I was going to post. My chicks are 8wks. old and have taken up residency in their coop for the past week & a half. I was a little puzzled and concerned when I noticed them perched and panting in the evening.(lol...grandpa's chickens never did that). The past few days have been definitely warm in the 80's and one day reached 92. It's back to normal/cooler temps for our area. I was tossing the idea of a fan around, maybe cause I want my chicks to be comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom