Do chickens really need a coop???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Grand-hen-ma, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Grand-hen-ma

Grand-hen-ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    Hi, I was wondering if I need to build a coop for my girls. They have nesting boxes to lay eggs. They are in a huge run, have sun, shade and stay dry when it storms. But they don't have an enclosed coop to get into at night. They have a roosting bar they get up on at night as well. They are not freerange birds either because of the hawks, coyotee and coons we have.

So, is it necessary for my girls to have a coop?

Thanks for any help

2. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Not really. Aside from predator security which would require top and skirting on the run, they will find a place to nest if you don't provide them one so the only reason I can think of that they might need a coop for is a roost where they feel safe.

That can be as simply as a 5 sided box mounted on a tree with a stick thru it to sit on, kinda like a big birdhouse

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  3. Kudzu

Kudzu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Ours don't have a coop, makes it a lot easier on cleaning. They do have a very spacious covered run with a roosting area.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Other than for predator protection, not really in your climate. Of course, a hurricane may be an issue, but for most of the time, as long as they have a protected place to be during those thunderstorms, they should be OK. My biggest issue where you are is if you are comfortable with the risk of predators. It is hard to make a large run really predator proof.

Good luck!

5. Grand-hen-ma

Grand-hen-ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    My pens are very secure. All covered on top and hardware cloth buried around the sides. After seeing my neighbor lose all their birds to predators, I decided mine will be protected the best way possible.

Thanks for the info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by