Do Chickens Really Need a Run?

Do Chickens Really Need a Run?

• Yes

Votes: 24 82.8%
  • No

Votes: 5 17.2%

• Total voters
Pics
I have 14 chickens that were hatched last spring. (these are the ones that survived). And 2 ducks(Mallards-I each).
I started the chicks in an enclosed area about 250 square feet w/5 foot of fence and mesh overhead. After the chickens were let out everyday at 8:00am and pushed back in at 7:30pm or so, they got the idea.
Now in the fall I open their coup door around 8:30am and they roam the field and yard until about 5:30-6:00pm. Then back into the coup for the night. The coup is 8'x12'.
There is nest boxes on the north wall and roosts on the east and south. A window is on each of those ends. A benefit of heat from the sun. Plenty of vents for the summer also.
I'm hoping all the hens will lay soon. As of now I get about 7-8 eggs a day. I have lost a couple from freezing but no big deal.
If the temperature is above 25 and not too windy, they will come out more. As of now, too cold and windy plus heavy snowing. I open the door for them anyway and throw scratch feed down outside close to the entrance. Water is always available inside and sometimes a pan outside, which the ducks love.
I'm all for letting them roam and pick at heart.

Back
Top Bottom