do chickens sneeze?

imaduck

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 3, 2009
Mount Vernon, Washington
i have a little RIR who is 18 days old. tonight when i came home from school, i noticed her sneeze 3 times. is this normal? i haven't ever heard her do this before, and when she sneezed on my hand, it was moist. she loves to jump in my hand and nuzzle up to me, so i often sit with her and hold her. she's always wrapped up in a little towel when i hold her and nice and toasty warm, but now i'm worried that she's gotten too cold and i've made her sick... she is eating, drinking, pecking, scratching, poking around with the other chicks... nothing at all abnormal other than her sneezing... i am hoping someone will simply say i'm overreacting... i haven't let her climb up on me tonight because i want her to stay warm in the brooder, she runs toward me and looks so hopeful every time i walk in the room... help?!

she's not looking sick at all, i just heard her sneeze... would she be acting sick if she had a cold? also - i just changed their bedding tonight, all new pine shavings. could that have caused the sneezing?

Yes, the pine shavings could be causing the sneezing.

She has not gotten sick from you holding her in the towel, and if you want to hold her go right ahead.

Chickens don't get the rhinovirus that causes colds in humans, but they can suffer from respiratory illnesses. Unless the sneezing gets really bad or you notice a bad smell or discharge, or her eyes get conjunctivitis, I would hold off on the worry.

thanks for the help.

i just read through some other posts and am ordering a book (the chicken health handbook) that i saw recommended here. hopefully that will help me feel more informed and knowledgeable.
smile.png
i have only ever had adult chickens before and am more nervous than i thought i'd be about raising chicks... this little chick is so sweet - she is not content with sleeping in my lap, she has to be wrapped up and on my should against my neck. the noises she makes in my ear remind me of my kitties purring. it would break my heart to have her hurt because of my inexperience. probably time for me to go to bed and stop hovering...
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom