Do chickens sweat?

You can gently clean her ears with a chlorhexidine solution and apply a thin layer of triple antibiotic solution to the infected area once or twice a day. If you don't see an improvement in three days apply monostat cream to the infected area.

As to mites, you can wash the affected birds in a cat shampoo (rinse well and dry completely). Don't forget to clean the coop they are in. Clean and treat all areas the chickens roost including the nest box. People who wish to avoid chemicals can scrub the areas with Dawn Dishwashing liquid. Remove all bedding, burn it and replace with fresh bedding. You will have to continue to clean and replace on a regular basis (every three weeks) as long has you have chickens.

For those who are not afraid of chemicals you can use permerthrin based sprays and treat all areas. Make sure areas are well ventilated and dry before allowing the chickens to return to the area.

I've also used a Heartworm preventative (Advantix) to kill lice on chickens but this is still experimental. And while I've had good luck with this most folks don't have a vet willing to dispense this for chickens. Other people have used pour-on Ivomec and seemed pleased with the result but the withdrawal time for eggs or meat is not established as with Advantix-so if you are eating the eggs this may not be the route for you.

Good luck!

Thank you! I will do that. So far she is doing VERY well. I clean out her ears daily. I put a little bit of peroxide in them (but i worry that will also push the bacteria farther in) and I am also treating her with my garlic ear oil drops. Her ear swelling has gone down. No more diarrahea. No more moist/sweaty body. I will start using what you suggested though :)

Back
Top Bottom