Do chickens that are about to hatch like light shined on them?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FreakyChickenLuver, Feb 5, 2009.

1. FreakyChickenLuver

FreakyChickenLuver Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2009
    Mine seems to be doing better when the flashlights on it. Like its getting somewhere. I will stop when it gets out and I am just doing it once in awhile. But is this good or does it actually not like it?

2. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    Typically you wouldn't be holding them or touching them much to "candle" during the last 3 days.... it can really screw up the humidity if you are opening up the bator and humidity is important for hatching. Are you just shining the flashlight into the bator ????? I don't see any harm in that.

Good luck and have a great hatch

3. FreakyChickenLuver

Jan 30, 2009
    It is trying to zip. It is already hatching.

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I was wondering the same thing. I will sit there and leave my flashlight on top of the bator window so I can watch the hatch close up with light! mine seem to do better too. Much faster at getting out of the shell [​IMG] Good luck to you on your hatch!

5. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    after day 18 i am always looking in with my flashlight.... they seem to rock and roll when the light is on them. i don't know if i am hurting them, but i do know they are in there ready to go...

6. FreakyChickenLuver

Jan 30, 2009
    [​IMG] Thank you! This is my first hatch and I am very very excited. Right now (i have 13 eggs) and the second one is starting to hatch too. I am sure I will incubate eggs again. It such a great experience. [​IMG]

I will show pictures when the little guy/girl has fully hatched.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by